Your first digital camera.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Apple QuickTake. 320x240 pixels should be enough for anyone, right?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That image came from Google; mine is long gone to the recycling centre.

But this is what it could do, in June 1996 (Ottawa Valley):

Don't click to make it bigger; that's all the pixels there were! And no EXIF data, either.

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nikkon 775

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
First digital camera I used was a QuickTake 100 in the late 90's. First one that was 'mine' was the first Panasonic D-Snap (2mp I believe) in the early 00ughties.

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
First digital camera I used was a QuickTake 100 in the late 90's. First one that was 'mine' was the first Panasonic D-Snap (2mp I believe) in the early 00ughties.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Fuji A101. A whopping 1.3MP and had a poor flash design that caused random white orbs in 2/3 of my indoor shots. Not a great camera by any means.

Here's a full res sample at 1280px wide. I think my kid's vtech watch takes clearer photos! :)

Attachments

Andrewmap

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Martin
Fujifilm Finepix S8100, 10mp! bought it as a Christmas present to myself in 2009; still works (although this picture was taken in 2010 and has been X posted to aircraft thread).

I still want to play with it, but I have too much m43 kit to play with first!:)

Attachments

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Mine was the Fuji F601Z: Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Review

I remember it quite fondly - it offered quite a lot of control for a compact camera, enough to get me interested in learning about photography in a a way that simple film cameras had not. In one specific respect it was better than any other camera I have owned: it was equally comfortable held vertically or horizontally, great for taking photos in portrait orientation. A major weakness turned out to be the use of Smartmedia memory cards, which were limited in size and expensive - when I travelled for more than a few days I ended up spending too much time worrying about card capacity.

It is interesting to note that the "wide" end of the zoom was 36mm equivalent - I guess that was relatively common at the time and I don't remember feeling particularly restricted by it. Yet now I feel that 28mm-e is not wide enough for a general purpose zoom...
I still have an F601. Its boxed complete with cradle and leather case, and when I last checked about a year ago, the battery still took a charge. I remember travelling to Wales just to get a 16mb Smart Media card (for £30) as it was a bargain at the time.

My first digital was an Agfa ephoto CL18 with 640 x 480 resolution and built in, non expandable 2mp storage. It was a QVC TSV.

Old digital cameras Collection with original information and images - Model Agfa Ephoto CL18

It was awful, I had so many problems with it and after several months I phoned QVC and they said send it back for a refund, so I put the money towards a Fuji A201.

Fuji A101. A whopping 1.3MP and had a poor flash design that caused random white orbs in 2/3 of my indoor shots. Not a great camera by any means.
The A201 had the same problem, I think it was quite common. Ghost hunter type TV shows at the time tried to convince us that these 'orbs' were the first manifestation of a human spirit. I got fed up with my dead ancestors photo-bombing my shots and I quickly moved on to a Pentax Optio S30. That was my first usable digital compact, though it had a tendency to significantly under expose. There was an exposure adjustment but it was buried in the menu and would reset to default whenever the camera was powered off.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
Nikon Coolpix 775

2.1 MP, bought somewhere in 2001 I believe. Cost me around €600 second hand, a lot of money for a student.
I bought a 64MB (yes megabytes) CF card for about €100 :s

but it saved me a lot of time and money shooting slide film and putting them on drum scanner...

Unbelievable what you can get for similar money these days.
I still have it in a box somewhere.

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Nikon Coolpix 775

View attachment 717901

2.1 MP, bought somewhere in 2001 I believe. Cost me around €600 second hand, a lot of money for a student.
I bought a 64MB (yes megabytes) CF card for about €100 :s

but it saved me a lot of time and money shooting slide film and putting them on drum scanner...

Unbelievable what you can get for similar money these days.
I still have it in a box somewhere.
Dinobe, that too was my first digital camera, and yes it was awful:doh:

Real Name
Steve
The one thing in my first digi cam's favour was that it held some shots in body if an SD card wasn't put in the slot. If anyone has ever gone out without a card with a hastily pocketed camera then just six shots could save the day.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
My first digital was a minuscule Konica 3.something MP with dual card slots, for two different sorts of card. Must have been early in 2003, I think.

I wanted the 3MP Ixus that was the hightligth of PS development then and which I was issued at work. Did not happen, due to a clerk at the camera store where the Mrs bought me the Konica. Kept that running untill 2006, when I wrongfull bought a Canon Powershot of some ilk and then the pentax K7 followed in 2009, after the Canon was left hanging on a Birch branch somewhere in the Mountains near Otta, Norway, where it may still hang for all I know.

D

Deleted member 20897

My first digital camera was a Sony DSC-P51. All I could afford at the time. Used those proprietary Sony memory cards. I think I got it at a Circuit City, if memory recalls.

At the time, I thought it was hot stuff, being 2mp and all. It was actually a decent camera considering the point and shoot competition at the time. Really, it as my one and only Sony camera.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
A Sony Mavica. 640x480 pics stored on a 1.44M floppy. Slow as a snail and around $400 way back then, as I recall. I probably still have some of the files on a disk around here somewhere.
Yup. Me too. So crappy. But I think that I may have taken the first modern digital selfie with it in 1997...

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Yup. Me too. So crappy. But I think that I may have taken the first modern digital selfie with it in 1997...

View attachment 717995
I started working at a computer store that same year and we sold a lot of those dumb Mavicas. The seemed like they were by far the worst bang for the buck, and so slow and clunky, but everyone loved the floppy disk image storage!

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
We had one at the brewery I used to work at in England and it was the slowest camera ever and the resolution was laughable but the mangers though it was cool because it took floppy disks and that was all the mattered. We went from a Canon A1 to the brick of the Sony overnight as a departmental camera. I wonder what happened to the Canon as it was in excellent condition:rolleyes-38:.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom