Your first digital camera.

The first digital camera that I regularly used, and got me into photography more than anything, was a Sony F707. It technically was my job's, but I used it personally as well. It was an odd camera, with the lens dwarfing the body and articulated. But it gave outstanding results. I still have a print up in my office from this camera.

The F707 and successor F717 ended up having a long life for those that liked doing digital microscropy. Since the lens was internal zooming with a large "filter" ring, it mounted onto microscopes really well. This made them hold their value long after they were obsolete, technologically.

They also had the notorious ability to "see through" clothing with the Night Shot feature.

Here is the shot I have a print of:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is a "Throwback Review" from 2016 for the camera.

Real Name
Matt
Nikon CoolPix 600, bought 1999 (issued 1998).

M.

P.S. Just found out the camera is no longer functional - electronics seem to have died. So it goes ...

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
@WT21 Started the interesting thread about your first m43 camera, and I think it might be interesting to find out what peoples first digital camera was regardless of format.
Fuji ClipIT bought it when I got to Japan in 2000 to enable me to take pictures I could easily email back to folks of stuff I was seeing.

I don't seem to have a picture of mine, so here's the release blurb
FUJIFILM | 企業情報 | ニュースリリース | 「デジタルカメラ CLIP−IT80」を新発売

Last edited:
My first digital camera and printer

Was the coolest thing when I was in my freshman year of high school. It was a hit with friends and the prints were on sticker paper. The above picture was not my actual units. I had a blue gameboy camera and a gameboy pocket, forgot what color at the time. Printer was the same as they didn't come in colors.

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
Mine was the Fuji F601Z: Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Review

I remember it quite fondly - it offered quite a lot of control for a compact camera, enough to get me interested in learning about photography in a a way that simple film cameras had not. In one specific respect it was better than any other camera I have owned: it was equally comfortable held vertically or horizontally, great for taking photos in portrait orientation. A major weakness turned out to be the use of Smartmedia memory cards, which were limited in size and expensive - when I travelled for more than a few days I ended up spending too much time worrying about card capacity.

It is interesting to note that the "wide" end of the zoom was 36mm equivalent - I guess that was relatively common at the time and I don't remember feeling particularly restricted by it. Yet now I feel that 28mm-e is not wide enough for a general purpose zoom...

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
I remember prices were astronomical when the first digital cameras came out. It was another few years before I got one in 2004- a 2MP Kodak Easyshare.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
Canon 350D / XT Rebel.
I watched it tumble, in a lowepro holster case, down a wickedly step hillside, bouncing off tree trunks, for a long way. I was sure it would of been toast, but amazingly, nothing wrong with it!
I paid $2000.00 NZ for just the body...

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Real Name
Steve
This one. Must have been the worst kit lens ever
My first DLSR cam too, I took it in the garden and shot a close up of a flower and wondered why the pic was shit and not a fabulous macro image!

My first digi was a point and shoot of unknown make, here's the exif and the first shot of a road somewhere in the Lake District 2005

I've just dug it out, here it is, an Orite. I'll put some batteries in tomorrow, see if it still works, I haven't used it since 2005 because I bought a Kodak digi P&S

Edit: nope it's kaput!

Last edited:

magIBIS

Mu-43 Veteran
The first digital camera I used more than on one accidental occasion was a Olympus C-??? UZ. It was a tool at my one-year internship in a advertising company 2002/2003. My boss was a Oly-fan and though I have never heard a thing about the brand before he has planted in my young brain, that Olympus is not known in Germany but is a very well regarded camera company from Japan, that is technically very advanced due to their ingenieurs. Such a nice coincidence.
My first own digital camera was shortly later the add on camera IQP-500, that clipped to mz Siemens S55. It was horrible and though the reason to get the expensive Handy it went quickly off and rested in the shelf.
The first digital camera I used extensively was a Sony P100. The Zeiss lens was a gem.

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
My first digital camera was a Fuji MX-600 which boasted a 1.5Mpix sensor. It was purchased in the spring of 1999 and came with me on first visit to Canada. I then progressed to another Fuji, the S602 zoom which stood me in good standing for a few years then my wife as was bought me a Canon Rebel XTI with possibly the worst kit lens ever, the original 18-55 pos:eek:. After that things went downhill quite rapidly:).

Real Name
Curt Schimmels
My very first digital camera was a whopping 2.1 megapixels. The Toshiba PDR M5 actually had 2 aperture settings, although I doubt they made much difference. It also accepted screw-on accessory lenses.

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A Sony Mavica. 640x480 pics stored on a 1.44M floppy. Slow as a snail and around $400 way back then, as I recall. I probably still have some of the files on a disk around here somewhere.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve

Nikon Coolpix 950. A little strange but surprisingly functional.

billca

Mu-43 Regular
Nikon Cool Pix 8400. Well made little camera, 8mb, choice of RAW, TIFF or JPEG out of camera.
Very slow to process the files. Wasn't cheap either if I remember correctly.
Used it to get a picture of this guy having breakfast one morning.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom