Which Olympus 17mm lens?

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
I'm looking at used lenses. The pancake f2.8 in EX+ is $168. The f1.8 in EX+ is $257. It's a solid stop faster but other than that which is the better choice?

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
I had a 17 2.8 for a very short time - the copy I had was rather poor optically. The 1.8 is much better in my experience (still not as sharp as say, the P20 - but a good lens).

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron

Correct. There are some downsides to that lens - focus is not as fast, especially on Olympus bodies - and it hunts a bit in low light. I still own both these lens and like them both, but I find out that I am using the P20 more (at least on my copies, the P20 is amazingly sharp, way more than it should be for such a tiny lens).

It really comes to your preferences. The O17 1.8 is a very good lens, but the P20 for me at least feels like it punches way above it's weight class.

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
I think I'm leaning toward sticking with Olympus lenses on the theory they will likely work best on the Olympus body. I'm debating between wide and fast. I'd like to have wide for local Friday night car shows in Lowe's parking lot. There are times when you barely have more room than the space you are standing in to get a shot, so wide would really help. That has me debating 12f2 or 9-18. But 17f1.8 gives me fast like the 12 at a lot lower cost.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
I think I'm leaning toward sticking with Olympus lenses on the theory they will likely work best on the Olympus body. I'm debating between wide and fast. I'd like to have wide for local Friday night car shows in Lowe's parking lot. There are times when you barely have more room than the space you are standing in to get a shot, so wide would really help. That has me debating 12f2 or 9-18. But 17f1.8 gives me fast like the 12 at a lot lower cost.

Whichever way you go - share your photos with us on one of the cars / trucks threads.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
O17/1.8 providesfield of view than P20/1.7. For your stated application, I will recommend O17.

Also P20 likely won't focus as fast as O17 on E-M10 Mk2. If you have an E-M1 mk1 or mk2, P20 may focus quickly.

But your kit zoom O14-42 will work great (and allow you to go very wide at 14mm), if you can use off-camera flash. Godox TT685o or TT350o + remote or TT350+TT685 will work very well. Depending on the light condition, you may need to diffuser the flash or use their high speed sync mode.

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
Yes, at least initially I'd use the 14-42 since it goes wider and offers the zoom benefit. I probably wouldn't change from it unless I get either a 12-xx zoom or the 9-18 zoom or 12f2. Well, I take that back, once I get the 17f1.8 and we get past the time change I may use it more since it will be dark so much earlier.

InlawBiker

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Greg
I’ve had both and much prefer the 1.8. The 2.8 is not a terrible lens but it’s not spectacular either. It is however very small. The 1.8 is not a lot bigger though and is arguably spectacular.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
I had both and was so happy that I got the 1.8. Color rendering is just wonderful

Santa

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom Staggs
The P 20 has become my all-around Lens, living on my Panasonic GX 85. It is so clear that you can crop quite a bit. I have never really noticed any slow focusing but I am using a Panasonic camera

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The O17/1.8 was my second m43 lens back in 2013 (after the 14-42 kit lens). I still have one today and it's a fantastic lens - it'll be the last I sell if I ever downsize.

I've tried the P20 a number of times, but I didn't find that it was much better in terms of sharpness. I also prefer the slightly wider FoV of the O17/1.8 and it beats the P20 in terms of focus speed and perceived build quality.

The O12 is not quite so good optically and it's notably pricier, but 12mm != 17mm and if you're photographing in tight places then you'll need all the FoV you can get. You might like to look at one of the cheap-as-chips fisheye lenses - e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Opteka-6-5...481807?hash=item4da491844f:g:6RIAAOSwyR1eF3-2

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think I'm leaning toward sticking with Olympus lenses on the theory they will likely work best on the Olympus body.
Any of the Panasonic short primes are going to work the same on an Olympus with the exception that the aperture ring won't work but you can just ignore it and continue to adjust aperture via your camera, anyway.

I'm debating between wide and fast. I'd like to have wide for local Friday night car shows in Lowe's parking lot. There are times when you barely have more room than the space you are standing in to get a shot, so wide would really help. That has me debating 12f2 or 9-18. But 17f1.8 gives me fast like the 12 at a lot lower cost.
IMO for the scenario you're describing it doesn't sound like 17mm is wide enough. Also, it may give you a faster aperture but also shallower DoF which is not something you want (probably) since you're trying to photograph something relatively long. IMO the 12/2 or 9-18 (depending on the available light) would be a better pick. Use a smaller aperture and rely more on stabilization. Another point: with cars, you can probably get away with heavier noise reduction since they typically have large, smooth surfaces.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
IMO for the scenario you're describing it doesn't sound like 17mm is wide enough. Also, it may give you a faster aperture but also shallower DoF which is not something you want (probably) since you're trying to photograph something relatively long. IMO the 12/2 or 9-18 (depending on the available light) would be a better pick. Use a smaller aperture and rely more on stabilization. Another point: with cars, you can probably get away with heavier noise reduction since they typically have large, smooth surfaces.

Nearly word for word with what I was going to say.

I have the P20/f1.7, and it's nowhere near wide enough for my taste in close quarters, and I don't feel like 17mm is that much wider. Truth be told, I've not used 17mm focal length on MFT format, though.

Another option would be the P14/f2.5. It's pretty cheap, pretty wide, and pretty fast - ok, not all that fast, but it is between the O17/f2.8 and the O12/f2 in every respect except cost. I do have the O12/f2, and aside from really, really enjoying the focal length, I'm a bit unimpressed with it, at least for how much it costs.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
If you need wide, you definitely should go for the O17mm 1.8 over the P20mm 1.7. I agree with others that you should get the 1.8 over the 2.8.

The P20 is really sharp and I like using it, but you should note that 20mm is 40mm equivalent and getting pretty close to the 50mm equivalent standard lens - not wide, not telephoto. 17mm, on the other hand, is 34 equivalent, so much the same as the traditional do-everything 35mm moderately wide lens.

Another option is the PL 15mm 1.7. It is very similar to the O17mm 1.8 in terms of build quality, sharpness, and price too (more expensive than the P20). This is obviously another step towards wider, but still fast and small and fairly inexpensive.

I just noticed that you said you could get a O17mm 1.8 in EX+ condition for $257. That's a very good price (I paid $320 for mine a few years ago - an Oly refurbished one). So I think that's your best option.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
the PL15 might be worth considering if you want wider than the 17's but think 12 isn't general purpose enough. its also a great lens optically, probably my favourite.

i actually dont mind the 17/2.8 . its small and has its own look in rendering. sharpness isnt always everything.

Latest threads

Top Bottom