What's in your prime lens kit ???

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
PL 15/1.7 and Olympus 25/1.8, 45/1.8, and 75/1.8.

I realized after my last trip that I only use my cameras on vacation (once or twice a year) and that I used my kit zooms (12-32 and 40-150R) most of the time. I’m debating rebuying the 12-40 PRO and Panasonic 35-100/2.8. The primes are nice to have but I can’t say they get much use.

AaronE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have :
Olympus 9 BCL
PanaLeica 20mm
Oly 25 f1.8
Oly 45 f1.8
Oly 60 f2.8 macro

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
I like primes for low light but they have to be small because 99% of my shooting is when traveling and my zooms are my most-used lenses.
My only primes are:
  • Samyang 7.5 fisheye
  • Panasonic 20/1.7
  • Panasonic Leica 15/1.7
  • Panasonic Leica 25/1.4

Lieven

Mu-43 Regular
Panasonic GH3 with PL 25mm f1.4
Olympus EM5I with PL 15mm f1.7
Stop

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ha ha ha. I've got lots of overlap, and way more than I need. But I've never paid full price, bought at great to excellent prices.
Lumix 14mm f/2.5
PL 15mm f/1.7
Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake
Lumix 25mm f/1.7 (got this free as a bonus deal with my GX8)
PL 25mm f/1.4
Lumix 42.5mm f/1.7
Sigma 56mm f/1.4
They're all brilliant lenses in their own way, I can't see myself parting with any of them, even if some are only very rarely used

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
I just listed my lightweight, back to basics kit as I didn't want to upset you by mentioning the 350mm.

Yeah well see, that's two that has one AND I DON'T :) I never get GAS ...... never, until that lens gets mentioned ;) HA. Love it. All the best you two and what a lens it is.

Danny.

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
Just to get a rise out of you, Danny. :)

If you really want one, I suggest using wachete.com (or some other webpage change monitor service) to monitor the KEH.com page for it. (Or for any other lens, for that matter.) You'll be notified within about ten minutes of that page changing. Be sure to use Wachete's partial page feature, or you'll be notified every day as the KEH top banner changes, which means you'll get daily notifications of their special sales, which may cause you to buy way more than what you really want, and you'll end up like me. :-(

BTW: KEH.com currently has the Olympus OM Zuiko 500mm ƒ/8 Reflex for $149, less their 20% off all "UGly" condition lenses, for a total of just $119.20! This is one of the world's best mirror lenses!

BTW2: Their description of their "UG" rating is scary, with "possible glass markings that can affect image quality." But I've bought two "UGly" things from them; both arrived near mint, albeit with pieces missing. I got a Telescoping Extension Tube for $39 — it arrived like new, but without caps or the tripod foot, which you don't really need with IBIS, anyway. And I just got the Olympus OM Zuiko 100mm ƒ/2 in "UGly" condition for $438.30 — it arrived near mint, with perfect glass and one tiny 0.5mm scratch, but in a plastic bag, with no case or caps. (I have a drawer full of various caps!)

Cheers for that. Just signed up to KEH and added to the wish list for the 350 F/2.8 ;) Thanks Jan

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
added to the wish list
Unfortunately, the KEH "wish list" is just about useless. You don't get any notifications. All it is is a list you can look at to remind yourself that there really aren't all that many lenses you wish for. :)

But if you're serious about finding one, check out wachete.com, which will actually poll the site you give it and let you know when there are changes, such as a change from "Not in stock" to anything else. You get to monitor five pages, every 24 hours, for free. (You can send them money to get more pages checked more often.)

You can set up wachete to only look at portions of the page. I recommend you don't include the rotating banner at the top of the page, as they change that about every day.

Last edited:

Danny.

Just me
Real Name
Danny
Ahhh I see. I'll keep a regular check on it in that case and will try the other site as well. Cheers for that.

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
My main prime lens kit, since I bought my Olympus EM1mkii about 2 1/2 years ago, is Olympus 12mm f2 and Olympus 17, 25, 45 and 75mm f1.8 lenses. This is great for general shooting and just walking around. Sometimes I adapt this kit to just four lenses, usually when I'm using my other camera, a Lumix G9. It then consists of Oly 12mm, Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Pana 42.5mm f1.7 and Oly 75mm. I suppose having both the 45mm and 42.5mm is a bit of a luxury, but I like them both; the 45 was the first M4/3 prime lens I bought and the 42.5 works well with the IBIS on the G9.

I have two more prime lenses: the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro, which I use a lot, but mainly for close ups, and my newest prime lens acquisition, which is fast becoming a favourite, the Sigma 56mm f1.4. I tend not to use this lens with other primes so much; I like to use it with the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 zoom, making a small, lightweight, general purpose outfit. Add the Pana 20mm f1.7, which is so small it’s hardly noticed, and you have a semi wide angle for use in low light circumstances well.

I've recently borrowed a Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 lens from a friend who's thinking of selling it. I like the lens and the wide maximum aperture, but the lens hood is a rectangular shape and can't be reversed over the lens, making the combination quite bulky. Mind you, it does look cool! I started a thread this week asking if anyone knew of an alternative lens hood that would fit this lens; I was not inundated with replies.

I notice that Panasonic are bringing out a mark ii version of this lens with dust and weather sealing. However, optical construction is the same and they haven't included image stabilisation, which is a pity. I haven't found any pictures of the lens hood yet, but I'll bet it's the same as the old one.

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
My main prime lens kit, since I bought my Olympus EM1mkii about 2 1/2 years ago, is Olympus 12mm f2 and Olympus 17, 25, 45 and 75mm f1.8 lenses. This is great for general shooting and just walking around. Sometimes I adapt this kit to just four lenses, usually when I'm using my other camera, a Lumix G9. It then consists of Oly 12mm, Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Pana 42.5mm f1.7 and Oly 75mm. I suppose having both the 45mm and 42.5mm is a bit of a luxury, but I like them both; the 45 was the first M4/3 prime lens I bought and the 42.5 works well with the IBIS on the G9.

I have two more prime lenses: the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro, which I use a lot, but mainly for close ups, and my newest prime lens acquisition, which is fast becoming a favourite, the Sigma 56mm f1.4. I tend not to use this lens with other primes so much; I like to use it with the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 zoom, making a small, lightweight, general purpose outfit. Add the Pana 20mm f1.7, which is so small it’s hardly noticed, and you have a semi wide angle for use in low light circumstances well.

I've recently borrowed a Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 lens from a friend who's thinking of selling it. I like the lens and the wide maximum aperture, but the lens hood is a rectangular shape and can't be reversed over the lens, making the combination quite bulky. Mind you, it does look cool! I started a thread this week asking if anyone knew of an alternative lens hood that would fit this lens; I was not inundated with replies.

I notice that Panasonic are bringing out a mark ii version of this lens with dust and weather sealing. However, optical construction is the same and they haven't included image stabilisation, which is a pity. I haven't found any pictures of the lens hood yet, but I'll bet it's the same as the old one.
It is the same stupid design so maybe investigate a shallower screw in lenshood, I did and use a hood from JJC LH-46GF!
JPEG image.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another alternative is to use the hood from the 45mm macro!
Same stupid design but shallower than the original!

Last edited:

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
Yes Mike, I have looked at screw in third party hoods and, if I were to buy the lens I'd find something suitable. Your reference might be useful though. Cheers.

Latest threads

Top Bottom