What type of bicycle do you ride?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Just got off my Brompton M6L. Found the tyres on my CF Trek Madone had split, just like my mates, 3 weeks ago. 3.500 miles on them. So got out the folding bike and turned up for the group ride with that. Howls of derision from some riders, were these people my friends? At the halfway point I was in second place, and came in first. It was not a race they said, but they were trying, and I had little time to draft like some who were sucking my 16” rear wheel. Knackered.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
1A71C1C2-BCD7-4AF1-9E49-21CB797E47B2.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
7C54E93D-6D39-4EFE-8BE4-6718908D3BA9.jpeg
New tyres, good, pump them up to 120psi, even better. Flawless ride today. The hills just disappeared. New Gorewear Lycra may have contributed.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My old Loco Moto. Purchased the bare frame from Titus in Arizona and built it up over the winter. View attachment 752819

Building bikes from components is great fun. Pick & choose exactly what takes your fancy. I built a previous bike that way, then bought a couple of manufacturer built, my next bike is definitely going to be a self build again.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
More pressies for my girl :) I've been playing around with cheap Chinese LED lights over the last three or four years, the Li Ion battery packs don't really like sitting around for 8 months or so not being used, it's usually only one cell that packs it in, & I can't be bothered buying test gear & multiple batteries to test, and balance, to build a decent pack out of.
I've accumulated quite a few 18650 Li Ion's over the last couple of years, so I decided to change tack. Another cheap Chinese 18650 specific torch was purchased off the eBay, along with a bracket, tested for burn time, & fitted. Happy days.
I don't know exactly what milliamp hours my cells are, I'd guess around 2700-3000, but a single cell will run my light on high, for around 1 3/4 hours, & still be at a safe 3.2V. And the torch is simply mounted into a clip in holder on my bike, no tools or bolts/screws involved, so can be used as my general purpose torch as well. Only need to take one spare cell with me on a ride -for emergencies, and has a zoomable beam. Supposedly water resistant, plenty of light, works like a charm. So far. $14 well spent I say.

18650 light.jpg

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
38394498905_5bd2c2c40a_o.jpg
4WD for Bicycles or Maybe Not by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Day 2: Esperance to Albany: The Unconventional Ride. 750 km in 10 days. A moment's pause at Munroe Point as I take in the 4WD track and my next hour or three's riding. The view is very deceptive; not reflective of what was about to come my way.

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
Raleigh Team SL Carbon, Shimano Ultegra 6700, Custom wheels by PSIMET.

P4220457.jpg

Mu-43 Legend
I am thinking about replacing my flat-bar Trek FX3 w/a road bike (in my case, move to more of an endurance bike).

I am mainly riding for exercise (well, I have an MTB that I ride to get into the woods). I'm doing 15-20 miles loops in my area, full tilt, to get some cardio. A friend of mine wants me to join him on a longer, 40-50 mile ride, and there are lots of group rides in my area.

Has anyone here gone from flatbar bike to drop bars? What did you think of the change? Or should I play the n+1 game and keep the flat bar bike :D

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Has anyone here gone from flatbar bike to drop bars? What did you think of the change?
Drop bars take some time to get used to and make best use of. They are really good for making a lot of changes to your riding position so your hands don't go numb/get sore and so you can reduce drag when you really want to make some speed. I used to have a MTB but finally figured out that the road was where I was happiest and most relaxed.

Mu-43 Legend
Drop bars take some time to get used to and make best use of. They are really good for making a lot of changes to your riding position so your hands don't go numb/get sore and so you can reduce drag when you really want to make some speed. I used to have a MTB but finally figured out that the road was where I was happiest and most relaxed.

I'm keeping my MTB because I find more social opportunities doing MTB. More people seem to have them/are willing to hit the woods, but I agree -- road biking, if you can do it away from traffic -- is just spectacular.

loco85

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Cali Fuentes
I'm keeping my MTB because I find more social opportunities doing MTB. More people seem to have them/are willing to hit the woods, but I agree -- road biking, if you can do it away from traffic -- is just spectacular.
What about the best of both worlds? A cyclocross/gravel bike. If your MTB outings are not too technical will serve you well. Personally I am with n+1. Just finished assembling a cyclocross bike to my own specs, with the n+1.

Mu-43 Legend
What about the best of both worlds? A cyclocross/gravel bike. If your MTB outings are not too technical will serve you well. Personally I am with n+1. Just finished assembling a cyclocross bike to my own specs, with the n+1.
Did you buy a new frame or convert an existing bike?

loco85

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Cali Fuentes
Did you buy a new frame or convert an existing bike?
I got a new no name frame from an internet retailer (now bankrupt), since I wanted disc brakes. Then looking for the best price on what I wanted got parts from different places: the bay, internet retailers, local shops and swap meets. I was very patient took me about 6 months to gather all the parts for the build because I wanted 9 speed. The cranks was the only used part, but I replaced the rings with new ones. My drive is 50/38 and 12 to 27, great for my local trail that has a combination of dirt, lose small pebbles and paved surfaces. May need to change the tires to 38's or 42's since I wanted to keep the skinny look and only went with 32's, but the clearance may go only to 38's or maybe 40's.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Oh dear. The delivery couriers keep knocking on my door with boxes of varying sizes for me to sign for. No one tell the wife :)
budget build.jpg

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Keeping away from traffic is the major point. I now refuse to ride on the road, after my latest altercation. Too many impatient, aggressive half wit “ drivers” out there, with zero care or respect for anyone other than themselves. I get nervous just waiting on the center island of divided two way roads now, after seeing how many times the fencing around them has been flattened and destroyed by vehicles. And this is on a dead straight section of road. I can handle the consequences if I run into a tree, getting hit or run down by an inattentive driver, not so much.

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
This is a picture of my Surly LHT I shot last weekend when out riding for the Surly Intergalactic Day rides throughout the galaxy....LOL
My ride here on Earth was hot, windy and humid but fun.
GR

P1010003.JPG

Mu-43 Legend
Keeping away from traffic is the major point. I now refuse to ride on the road, after my latest altercation. Too many impatient, aggressive half wit “ drivers” out there, with zero care or respect for anyone other than themselves. I get nervous just waiting on the center island of divided two way roads now, after seeing how many times the fencing around them has been flattened and destroyed by vehicles. And this is on a dead straight section of road. I can handle the consequences if I run into a tree, getting hit or run down by an inattentive driver, not so much.
I mostly bike a 20 mile stretch that can be cut into 12, 14, 16 and 20 mile segments or go around twice for longer rides. It’s a big circle on mostly back roads frequented by bikes, almost all right turns, and limited sections of fast traffic. I should get braver, but then I read about another accident with a biker and I think “I’m good.”

Last edited:

ScanSpeak

Mu-43 Rookie
I was in Amsterdam last year.

My bike is the blue one.

20180828_185124185_iOS.jpg

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sorry about the crappy phone pic. Out on the maiden voyage :) Nothing broke, or fell off, small tweak on shifter cable tension as the cables settled into their housings. Well pleased with it. Not quite finished, still waiting on the front derailleur, but got impatient, and went riding :)
IMG_20190929_101939467.jpg
IMG_20190929_101243706.jpg

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, it's complete. I won't say finished, my bikes are never finished. It's already started. Ordered a different pair of handlebars to try, just waiting for delivery. I really really really like it. More each time I ride it. Lovely and stable to hammer through the rough, yet still light and agile. 100%+ improvement over the last one.
IMG_20191007_174041553.jpg
IMG_20191005_153138415_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191005_151931331_HDR.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom