What do you collect?

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
I collect indicators, especially old and odd ones.

View attachment 775120 M1014994 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

View attachment 775121 M1015009 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

View attachment 775122 M1015041 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

View attachment 775123 M1015043 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

I've got the very first scuba diving decompression meter complete in box at home. When it was used it was called the bend-o-matic for its ability to give divers the bends.

You could also artificially reduce your decompression level by holding it against a hot surface (like a hot water pipe on a boat).

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
C'mon, now. You claim to be a "farmer" and you collect money?

Yea, I "collect money" at the local farmers market, and it goes directly to mother: "Pay this mutha, pay that mutha…"

After a successful engineering career, I decided money wasn't so important, so I became a fine art photographer.

But I was making too much money as an artist, so I became a farmer. Then I discovered the secret to making a small fortune farming: start with a large one. :)

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I stopped collecting money and started to invest them instead, usually works better.

Otherwise:
Robert A. Heinlein books until I bought the Virginia edition. (I don't collect any longer as I have all his books.)
Nevil Shute books until I bought a used set of the complete works. (Same for this.)
Music, LP, CD and now a days FLAC files, this will continue.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
After a successful engineering career, I decided money wasn't so important, so I became a fine art photographer.

I dropped out of visual communication school for a similar reason. 2.5 years of study (2 part time, .5 full time) to get an entry level job a competitive industry to start on about half of what I'm earning in my IT career? Some times you've just gotta think with your wallet.

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
  • Old Kodak cameras
  • Field guides- mostly bird books for all around the world. Also, remember the Golden Guides, the small field guides that used to be everywhere? I've got all of them, including the travel and art ones which are hard to find.
  • Old padlocks

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
I collect this stuff.
me_and_my_friends.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

soundfanz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Music is my life time passion, but over the last couple of years have spent more on photography gear than my vinyl and cd spending.
Reduced my 2 thousand odd record collection to about 300. Big lover of free/ avant-garde jazz, and this genre consumes 90% of my listening these days.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Music also used to be my life, I played trumpet and French horn (which I hated, ridiculous instrument) in school. Had a career as a trance and prog house DJ and producer in my late teens and most of my 20's.

I think I burnt myself out on it though, underground dance music became commercialized in the mid 00's and it wasn't something I wanted to be a part of any more. I was just done.

When I was in the midst of it though, I could walk into a nightclub and within second identify what track was playing (not bad for music that most people complain about all sounding the same)

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Lately I've been collecting space. As in empty space. Really been enjoying getting rid of stuff. Music collection is mostly gone. Audio gear pared down to bare minimum, as is photography gear. Extensive baseball card collection from my childhood and teen years, 35+ years ago, is gone except for a handful of cards that mean something to me. Slowly giving away my books (they are tough to move). Even clothing and shoes have been minimized.

I'm not sure why I get enjoyment out of this, but I do. The idea of collecting stuff - aka buying things I don't need - is totally foreign to me at the moment. But who knows, there is always the possibility that I wake up one day and go on another vintage lens binge, or start buying up tubes by the dozen to tweak the sound on my amp.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
After just visiting my garage drawers that haven't been opened in a long time as I haven't been fishing for a while, I remember what I used to collect from charity shops. Filleting Knives and Polaroid sunglasses. Just done a head count and there's 37 knives and 14 prs of sunnies! :coco::coco: I lost a few overboard at one time or another and decided that having a backup supply might stand me in good stead :) I once lost a pair 0f $400 glasses when a Spanish mackerel tail smacked me in the face as I brought it on board...............Just so happy it wasn't his teeth! :laugh1:

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I stopped collecting money and started to invest them instead, usually works better.

Otherwise:
Robert A. Heinlein books until I bought the Virginia edition. (I don't collect any longer as I have all his books.)
Nevil Shute books until I bought a used set of the complete works. (Same for this.)
Music, LP, CD and now a days FLAC files, this will continue.

So do you have "Time enough for Love" or are you feeling like a "Stranger in a Strange Land"?

Sooo Cool, I immediately googled it! Where is the e-book version?

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Music also used to be my life, I played trumpet and French horn (which I hated, ridiculous instrument) in school. Had a career as a trance and prog house DJ and producer in my late teens and most of my 20's.

I think I burnt myself out on it though, underground dance music became commercialized in the mid 00's and it wasn't something I wanted to be a part of any more. I was just done.

When I was in the midst of it though, I could walk into a nightclub and within second identify what track was playing (not bad for music that most people complain about all sounding the same)

well, there are only so much different tracks in trance ;)
maybe you need to start over with smth. different - check my trip-hop/experimental/electro playlist. it´s a very short version of trip list, so there are a few classics in between.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNIlqQymCvO9GUXFPhW0NL2pHdiBuHCbc

actually i never collected stuff. my father always said to me that i was collecting knives and lighters. but truth is, he wanted me to collect them, because he just wanted constantly buy some small stuff.
i can´t say i´m collecting photo equipment either - i have like 20 retro lenses, which don´t really give me joy nor they excite me in any way. i just use them depending on my needs/use for workshops.

i think i just gather experiences, different states of mind, feelings, knowledge, etc.
atm i´m into audiophilia - trying different headphones, amps/dacs, speakers, but most of all new MUSIC. also modding headphones is a heck of fun!

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not so much collecting as accumulating? What started out as an interest in old lenses for adapting became the accumulation of old lenses with their attached cameras. Also have a soft spot for musical instruments of all types.

Last edited:

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
But who knows, there is always the possibility that I wake up one day and go on another vintage lens binge, or start buying up tubes by the dozen to tweak the sound on my amp.
I discovered the antidote to that: make less money.

I know, it's a radical idea, and most of us have been trained since birth to make as much money as we possibly can, but there's a certain serenity you get when you focus on "having enough" instead of "having more."

(Yea right, says the guy with some 40 lenses…:))

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Some times you've just gotta think with your wallet.
And how's that working for you?

The good part is that when I was an IT consultant, I didn't have any time for collecting or music or photography! That meant I was able to accumulate enough to "buy the farm."

Now, I have even less time, but at least I don't have much money, either. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom