Upgrade Lumix GX80 to GX9

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Obviously a U.K. resident with those numbers. Very happy with my GX80, but, what advantages would I be getting with a GX9. Is the 4 mpxl difference very noticeable, movable viewfinder, what else is an improvement? If the price drops below £400 in the new year with possible cashback, I may make a purchase. I have been waiting for announcements for a new improve G9, but nothing yet. I would like a joystick and will they increase the performance of the sensor?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
The G9 just received a big firmware update that improves performance and adds animal detect, among other things. I’d be surprised if we see a follow up to this camera any time soon. I’d expect a GH6 before a G10, but I may be wrong.

The GX95 is sort of a blend between the GX80/85 and the GX8. GX8 owners don’t see it as much of an upgrade, but it looks like it would be worth more consideration If you’re shooting the GX80/85. I went from the G85 to the G9, and I do appreciate those extra 4MP for cropping quite a bit.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
One feature that I noted and made me consider; exposure comp in manual mode. I'm not sure the updates would have been enough for me personally.

Mirrorless Lessons has a nice comparison, they do note a nice bump in image quality and they like the new L.Mono and L.Mono D. They also have a good write up of video difference.
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/panasonic-vs-panasonic/gx9-vs-gx85-gx80/

Tool Crazy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What I prefer on the gx9 over gx80
Better sensor
Af/mf physical switch (big deal if you use manual often)
Metal body (top and bottom plates only, the rest is plastic)
Separate exposure comp dial.

Neutral
Tilt evf has the cool factor. I used to own a gx7 and gx8 so I've had my share with them but it's not something that's a must for me.

Other than that, the gx9 is the same camera compared to the gx80.

The gx9 is worse in one department, 4k crop which is said to be much worse than gx80.

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Obviously a U.K. resident with those numbers. Very happy with my GX80, but, what advantages would I be getting with a GX9. Is the 4 mpxl difference very noticeable, movable viewfinder, what else is an improvement? If the price drops below £400 in the new year with possible cashback, I may make a purchase. I have been waiting for announcements for a new improve G9, but nothing yet. I would like a joystick and will they increase the performance of the sensor?
Based on the Dpreview comparison tool plus a couple of test videos I saw on Youtube when the GX80 was released, it looks like the GX9 has sharper 1080 video. It also has a dedicated AF/MF switch.

I don't have a GX80 so I don't know if it already has this but I notice that if you flip out the rear screen on the GX9, it automatically disables the eye-detect on the EVF. This is a very handy feature which I wish my G85 had. I also like how pressing in the top control dial brings up some secondary adjustments, one of which is direct access to exposure bracketing. Again, I don't know if the GX80 already has this or not.

Tool Crazy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I had heard that the body was composite, similar to the GX85.
I suppose I was going by what the rumors had said before launch.

According to DPReview:

"The top and bottom plates are metal, with the rest of the body being composite, which includes most dials."

So I guess we're both right.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have just acquired an as-new used GX9 to upgrade my GX7 (and probably replace EM10.2, to keep to similar form and menus); despite the glowing reviews for GX85 I decided on the GX9 for a couple of main reasons:

A. The tilting EVF: useful for low-angle shooting, and you can flip it up so when working on the LCD it prevents every hand pass from switching to EVF view, while still being ready to shoot using EVF (works for me, anyway!).
B. 20MP - no point upgrading without this increase, IMO.
C. No low-pass filter, which I wanted to experience.

My biggest disappointment so far has been the colour: I choose silver bodies as I have some silver lenses. However, the GX9 silver is more a metallic grey, and looks a little odd with my silver lenses.

Best wishes with your decision.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I have also been looking at this upgrade path. One big thing holding me back is the tiny FL-M3 flash will not work with the GX9. Does anyone know of a similar tiny, tilt & swivel, wireless controller flash that works with the GX9??
Not one of the body powered flashes no.

Forgot about that one. Panasonic removed the 4th pin in the shoe that provides the power. Seem to recall it's not on the G85 either (though that may be the G95).

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The longer you wait, the cheaper the GX9 will become. The GX80 has everything you need. ;)
Yes, true, the GX9 will soon be as cheap as the GX80 when a new model comes out. Reading the mirrorless comparisons article (above link) does not really give me great improvements. But...I really want a G9 upgrade, more mgpxls, a tilting screen similar to the S1r, etc.

Latest threads

Top Bottom