TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
Here are a few samples from my recent "Classic Hollywood" style portraits shoot in which Elisabeth and I stopped doing just "portraits" and spent some time just having her play with the vintage dress she was wearing. Totally unexpected results and so thankful we took the time.

Specs: OMD-EM1 mkii | 14-54 2.8-3.5 lens (second version) | Main light - Interfit HoneyBadger with a 22" beauty dish with grid | second Honeybadger to camera left with 7" grid on it | Processed in Camera Raw and Photoshop.

Elisabeth Donaldson_110.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Elisabeth Donaldson_114.jpg
Elisabeth Donaldson_121.jpg
Elisabeth Donaldson_124.jpg
Elisabeth Donaldson_129.jpg

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
Great Picture - Great Lighting - Even Greater Processing (bright highlights but with all that low key dark space noise well controlled - masterfully done sir!).

As it happens, I have just spent the holidays reading "One Light Flash: Professional-Quality Lighting on a Budget" (Lark Photography Book (Paperback)) By John Denton.
Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 10.11.48.png

This is available in the local library here in the UK [UK public libraries are a great source of photo' books to read if you haven't tried them out recently]......And by luck - I have just been given a great manual "generic" vari-power flashgun with a slave synch system that can exclude triggerring with the pre-flashes of my Lumix G.

Life is full of coincidences - so after this inspiring photo - it looks like Low-Key Flash Portrait is a great photgraphic theme to be trying out in 2019.

Any readers like to suggest other tips, books or webpages to help me play catch up with Tom Servo's skilled picture making?

Best wishes - Paul C in the UK

Last edited:

TomServo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon Jackson
Great Picture - Great Lighting - Even Greater Processing (bright highlights but with all that low key dark space noise well controlled - masterfully done sir!).

As it happens, I have just spent the holidays reading "One Light Flash: Professional-Quality Lighting on a Budget" (Lark Photography Book (Paperback)) By John Denton.
View attachment 707419
This is available in the local library here in the UK [UK public libraries are a great source of photo' books to read if you haven't tried them out recently]......And by luck - I have just been given a great manual "generic" vari-power flashgun with a slave synch system that can exclude triggerring with the pre-flashes of my Lumix G.

Life is full of coincidences - so after this inspiring photo - it looks like Low-Key Flash Portrait is a great photgraphic theme to be trying out in 2019.

Any readers like to suggest other tips, books or webpages to help me play catch up with Tom Servo's skilled picture making?

Best wishes - Paul C in the UK

Thank you. It looks like the compressed versions of these that uploaded crunched the highlights on her face a little, but I admit I was concentrating on the dress. Looking at other photos from the same shoot that day I think I didn't blow out the highlights in the portraits. You can see some more here: Classic Hollywood Portraits - Jackson Photoworks

roelwillems

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roel
Stunning work! Really like how the low key shots show the fabric and folds of the dress and how this is contrasted by the smoothness of the skin (I really like how the highlights on the face reduce contrast there). Well done, very inspiring!

Latest threads

Top Bottom