Re-attaching Pen-F rubber thumb grip

Pecos

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello all - back after an extended absence.
The rubber thumb grip (trapezoidal) on back of my Pen-F recently came off. What is the best adhesive for re-attaching it?
Thanks.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Some will say double sided tape, others swear by contact adhesive. Superglu, sending it to be repaired out of warranty for £145, whatever.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
This worked for me; recommended by a fellow forum member. It has a little bit of flex which can be advantageous over a rigid adhesive in this application.

Pliobond

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Be careful with Superglue (cyanoacralate). It gives off a vapour that will leave milky deposits on glass. Just make sure that you keep it away from lenses, eyepieces etc.

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
Get some Sugru and make your own! I wore through my thumb grip on my E-P5 and needed a new one. I removed the old one and cleaned all the adhesive off, put some Sugru on it and shaped it to my liking (better than the original, for me) and then took some crumpled then uncrumpled aluminum foil and lightly pressed it into it to give it a leatherette finish. Looked like the real deal, except it was fitted to my preferences and it's grippier then the factory rubber. It stayed on for a couple of years until I needed to replace the screen flex cable and I removed it searching for one of the 127 screws I needed to take the dang thing apart. I cut the majority off with a knife and scraped the leftover bits off with a plastic spudger.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
My Pen-F thumb grip is starting to peel off as well. For those not comfortable winging it with glue or shaping their own, why not buy a new one directly from Olympus?

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/rear-grip-replacement-for-pen-f-must-purchase-with-tape.html
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/re...en-f-must-purchase-with-replacement-grip.html

For ~$20 USD shipped to my door I think it is worth having a factory supplied new rubber grip plus adhesive tape. I'll post again should it prove anything more than straightforward in installation.

Latest threads

Top Bottom