Post-Processing Challenge #477

todd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
todd
ORF Download => ppc477
JPEG download (just saved from Irfanview) => ppc477

v811niz7w89i94r6g.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

While setting up for this, there was still soft side sunlight kissing the tops of rocks from the right, and waves coming into the foreground bouncing off a rock wall just outside of frame on the left, and I was hopeful.

Just when ready to record the first LE with this comp (which takes some time to get in position and set up with the ND filter, release cable, focus), a totally clueless couple came right into the middle of the scene with their dog and evidently decided the rock they'd claimed was the utmost romantic spot in all of Laguna Beach. I should have known better and moved on down the shoreline to find another comp, as there might have been time if I'd acted fast, but I waited... And waited...

Finally decided to record this with them still milling about (and a kid who came into scene on the left), but it was too late... Light was gone, and no more foreground waves were coming in to make the LE magic happen for me...

I have a 15s LE of them planted in the scene where they're quite still and think you'd probably enjoy processing that one more than this, but I just dont care to see them anymore at this point haha... Please work some miracles and redeem this flat image for me. :)

This Challenge will close in about three days, at the end of day California time, Wednesday, June 26th.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules

The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.

Notes:

Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
"Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
ppc477_01A.jpg

I guess I voted for over-the-top again. :biggrin:

Last edited:

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Nearly all the exposure stuff was done in ACR, lift the overall then apply a grad filter top down and then bottom up.
cropped 16:9 and cheated to crop out left hand ghost.
the right hand ghost was cloned out.
I was trying to recapture some of the light you had earlier
ppc477.jpg

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
Second entry: started by making a faux-HDR using Aurora, followed by minor tweaking in ACR. Most work involved erasing the ghost figure on the right (the one on the left got cropped out). Ended with noise reduction and a tad of nik ProContrast and high pass sharpening.

Tide2.jpg

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
mu43ppc.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Edited raw file in DXO PL2, (from memory) mainly applied full amount of ClearView, minimum amount of lens sharpening, and reduced chromatic aberration. Then in Elements, adjusted level, applied strong haze reduction, and in ON1 Effects plug-in, increased color and applied a mild vignette.

ppc477_DxO_2dLL.jpg

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
First entry, Used DxO colours and so, then to get rid of the ghosts I had to download a trial of Elements.
ppc477_DxO_Web.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
First entry, Used DxO colours and so, then to get rid of the ghosts I had to download a trial of Elements.
View attachment 756077
If you at some point decide to buy Elements, I would suggest that you check prices at B&H and Amazon as they are often better than the list price. OF course you can also get gimp for nothing and it is quite a bit more powerful than Elements (I have it but don't use it because I just got used to using Elements and don't want to spend time learning a complex program).

Rob Rider

Mu-43 Veteran
Got rid of uninvited ghosts after getting colors right. A combo of Topaz and photoshop adjustments.

ppc477-1-1-1-1-Edit.jpg

Rob Rider

Mu-43 Veteran
A 16x9 crop and then the Nik detail extractor for a different look.

ppc16x9-Edit.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
ppc477_DxO_edited.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
ppc477_DxO-1.jpg

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Entry 1. Reality went out of the window.

chall.jpg

Edit: bottled it and reduced the contrast.

Last edited:

relic

Hobbyist
Entry #2: These challenges invite experimentation with stuff I don't normally use: I used ON1 Effects "HDR LIke/glow" then added a layer which I converted to B&W, used blending mode "Hue" and reduced opacity to 33%.

ppc477_DxO_2dLL_glow_hue33.jpg

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
A B&W one from the first one.
ppc477_DxO_Web_2.jpg

todd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
todd
Great stuff all. Another day to go before close. Keep 'em comin'.

Latest threads

Top Bottom