Post-Processing Challenge #476 (closed, results announced)

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
OK, this should be a challenge...

I was trying to take a long exposure image of the spillway at Post Falls, Idaho. My variable ND filter accidentally got set into that weird, blobby setting just past max attenuation. It was bright out, and I was having a hard time steadying myself on a handrail. I couldn't tell how weird the ND filter was on the rear display -- I could barely see the display at all! Found out what happened after I got home.

PPC476web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So it's a little crooked and variably exposed. I think there might be a good image in there somewhere, but it may take some hard work and luck to tease it out.

The RAW and JPG files are here.

This Challenge will close in about three days, at the end of the day Friday, June 21st.

72-Hour Post-Processing Challenge Rules
  1. The Challenge Master provides an image or images to be "improved" upon by way of post-processing, as well as a closing date for entries.
  2. Entrants are to post their entries, visible in this thread, at a resolution of 1000 to 1600 pixels in the longest dimension, prior to the closing date.
  3. Each entrant is allowed two entries in the Challenge.
  4. At the close of the Challenge, the Challenge Master will select a Winner and Runners-up.
  5. The Winner of the challenge is honored as the Master of the next Challenge.
Notes:
  • Any/all source images used for the challenge must be the Challenge Master's own images. They are posted solely for the purpose of this Challenge; not to invite critique or criticism nor for other uses. If Entrants post their entries at a photo sharing site, they should credit the owner of the original image.
  • "Improve" is a subjective term, and may include many creative ideas, as well as traditional "fixing". The Challenge Master agrees that Entrants may make any changes they deem fit in their entries.
  • Entrants are strongly encouraged to share the tools and techniques used for their entries, however this is not a requirement for entry.
  • As we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Challenge Master is encouraged (but not required) to state the criteria used to decide upon a Winner. While we may not all agree with the result, the Challenge Master's decision is final. Please refrain from posting adverse comment.
  • If the Winner is unable to post a new Challenge within five days, the honor passes to the next Runner-up.

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
Cropping, changing white balance, improving lighting on right corner, correction of symmetry: all done in ACR.

Falls.jpg

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran
PPC476.jpg

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
chall_waterfall_1.jpg

Entry 1.

Straightened, converted to B/W, worked on light and shade on waterfall and rocks, then used ON1's ambrotype filter. Lastly, put the contrast back in that ON1 took out :)

relic

Hobbyist
Much too hard :) Straightened image (raw file) in DXO, then edited in Elements (mainly trying to dodge dark areas), couldn't get an acceptable color result, so converted to B&W in Nik Silver Efex. Edit: Added a 1-pix-wide black border to keep the water from flowing out of the picture :)

PPC476_DxOdcBWLMe.jpg

Last edited:

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
PPC476_DxO.jpg

rpatodia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ramesh
PPC476_DxO_edited2.jpg

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Entry 2 -

More dodging, burning and painting in to emphasise the movement in the water. Fixed the exposure on the right as best I can without introducing too much noise. Couldn't make my mind up about the sky, so I chopped it off.

This is quite a difficult picture to work on IMO.

chall_waterfall_2.jpg

Robert Davidson

Mu-43 All-Pro
My #2 entry - This one done in Luminar 3.1.1 (#1 done in ACR and Photoshop).
PPC476L2.jpg

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
a tricky one.. i like it!

Usual adjustments to tone/colour. But then I tried brushing out what looks like a colour cast in the foreground, using Luminar with little success. Then into Denoise to clean up the noise....
PPC476-denoise.jpg

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
..and #2 in Exposure x4. Lots of changes to tone/colour using gradients and brushes. then converted to B/W using the Kodak Panatomic-X preset.
PPC476-Exposure.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
This was largely done in Adobe Camera Raw, with a little bit of touch-up and filling out of the frame in Photoshop.
Perspective correction.
The major darkening at top/right was taken care of with several gradients stacked on top of each other in a very ad hoc manner.
Bottom/left was more easily done with one gradient.
I stopped counting adjustment brushes at seven. These were either devoted to getting some texture into the water or dealing with the odd colors that came out of the shadows. Some of them disappeared into the later crop.

PPC476-1.jpg

Anyhoo – I was intrigued by the subject and the challenge and made as much time for it as I could. Lyle didn't oversell the difficulty. I'm not happy, yet, but I've run out of time. I'll be off web for a while. I expect to learn the outcome about ten days after the challenge closes. Best of luck, folks.

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Anyhoo – I was intrigued by the subject and the challenge and made as much time for it as I could. Lyle didn't oversell the difficulty. I'm not happy, yet, but I've run out of time. I'll be off web for a while. I expect to learn the outcome about ten days after the challenge closes. Best of luck, folks.
Thanks for taking the time to enter an image. It’s too light ;). I hope your work inspires others to give it a try.

It sounds like you will be busy with other things. See you again in a couple of weeks.

todd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
todd
20190619000323-23009bbe.jpg

relic

Hobbyist
Entry #2: My 1st entry seemed to me to be too harsh. I blurred it a bit (maybe too much?):

PPC476_DxOdcBWLM3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom