Pointless bragging -- how long have you been using m43

Mu-43 Legend
After reading this

I have used m43 probably longer than anyone else on the forum

I am curious who are the grand daddies (or mamas) on the site, so some pointless bragging --

When did you start using m43, and what bodies have you used?

I'll start:

June 2009 was my first foray with an EP1. I knew about the G1, but was only hooked when the EP1 was launched.

Bodies used (in rough order):
EP1, EPL2, EPM1, G3, EP3, EPL3, GX1, EM5, GX7, EPL5, GX85, G85 (current)

Last edited:

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I bought my E-M10 in December 2014, then added a used E-M5 spring of 2016.

I guess that makes me a middle-aged mft user.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I got an EP-1 in 2010, there have always been m43 options since then, I have used; G1, EP-L1, EP-M2, G3, GX7, G5, OMD-10, OMD5, GX80. There is still the EP-1, it was a gift, the G3, the two OMD's and 2 GX80's. Its the ratio I keep coming back to for some reason it is for me easier to compose in over 3;2, could be due to using a 645 of some sort until 2015.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Does 4/3rds count? I was later to the m43 world because I hung onto my 4/3rds stuff until they finally released the E-M1 to support the old lenses and even then I waited for about a year after its launch. I started with 4/3rds on the Oly E-520 back in 2008.

On a side note, my very first digital camera was the Olympus D-220L way back in 1998 and I went through a couple more Oly fixed lens cameras before the E-520.

Andrewmap

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Martin
Quite the youngster in this format, bought my first m43 camera in 2015, a G1, which I still have and use now and again. Never bought a brand new one, always pre-loved cameras.

Rainman

Mu-43 Regular
Pre-ordered the GF1 with 20/1.7 from B&H in Sept 2009. Reminded me of one of my favorite cameras, the Minolta CLE with 40/2.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
June 2009 was my first foray with an EP1. I knew about the G1, but was only hooked when the EP1 was launched.

Bodies used (in rough order):
EP1, EPL2, EPM1, G3, EP3, EPL3, GX1, EM5, GX7, EPL5, GX85, G85 (current)

My first DSLR was the Olympus E500 in 2006. I checked out the EP1 upon release and wanted one. I don't know what year I got it (I think 2009). I liked the IQ and build quality, but the screen sucked outdoors and focus with legacy lenses was horrible. It was never primary camera worthy, but useful as a second more portable camera w/17mm pancake. When the EM5 came out, it ticked all the boxes and I bought it upon release. Still have it and added EM1 later on.

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Jumped into m4/3 when I got my GF1+20mm back in October 2009. Before that I was shooting with regular 4/3 Olympus DSLRs.

Real Name
Steve
I'm brand new almost, I bought a EM-10 ll kit in August 17, I just liked the retro look because it looked like my old OMn1 a bit. It was to accompany my Canon gear and to be used as an everyday carry anywhere camera, but I didn't think of as a replacement in any way, just one up from my S200 but with RAW files, it wasn't until I started using it that it became obvious to me that for the stuff I do it was all I needed......the rest is history, the Canon gear has all gone, I'm m43 until I die.

relic

Hobbyist
August, 2009 (discovered this wonderful forum in October, 2010). E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1, E-PM2, and currently using E-P5 and E-PL7.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Choose not to enter the realm in 2009, when I was hard looking at the Oly Pen but couldnt see myself doing without the rangefinder so I bought a Pentax K7 with some additional stuff instead. Fast forward to 2016, when the Pentax had seen little use, and the inheritance of my fathers rather large Canon set-up, which I foresaw would see even less use at my place. Off to the local equivalent of Craigs list both went and financed my initial spendings on the M43, with a GX7 with the 14-42, and supplemented it swiftly with the 12-32 and 35-100 kit stuff, some months later I bought the GX8 with the 25 f.1.7 and never looked back. Have been adding and swapping system parts since then, and will most likely continue to do so. I have arrived. :)

D

Deleted member 20897

Got me an EM-5 in 2013. At the time, it was the only camera the had a properly functioning rear touch screen so I could use it to shoot while I was recovering from a distal bicep rupture.

Last edited by a moderator:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Can't really remember the date: EPL1, EP5, GX8(s), and Gx85. Loved each of them. It was early 2013 bought the EPL1 when they were closing them out when my wife "stole" my PS:)

Last edited:

bahamot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Irwan
Started with GF1, now using GX7, GX8, GH5

Real Name
Andrew L
Started in 2013 when I found a deeply discounted GF3 with 14-42mm at Walmart. I knew only a little about mirrorless cameras, but knew that it had double the resolution of my tired-out Nikon D40 and was much smaller.

Bought a GX1 when the limitations of the GF3 became apparent. Then an EM10, sold the GX1, bought a cheap EP1 kit for the VF1 and 17mm f2.8 that came with it. Sold the EP1 eventually. Got a GM1 but didn't gel with it, sold it for a GM5. Ran with the EM10+GM5 till the GX85 came out, sold the EM10 for it. Eventually came to realize I never took the GM5 out since the GX85 was clearly superior. Sold the GM5. At some point along the line acquired a GF7 from this forum for my wife to use. Fast forward a couple years and here we are.

Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
My first one was a used EM-5 mk1 in November 2013. It was purchased off the manager of my local camera store as he wanted a silver/black body and his was an all black version. It came with the battery grip and a 12-50 lens. The following year we were going to England and Ireland for a month so I used it in conjunction with my Canon gear to test it. After a couple of months I realized that it was fine and produced what I wanted from a picture. I then picked up an EPL-5 as a back-up for the trip, convinced my partner to change over too and off we went and had a glorious time with no big heavy gear to carry about.
Since then I have had an EPM-2, EP-3, EM-5mk2, EPL-7 Pen-F, EM1mk2, GF-1 and a Leica Typ109 so I think I am well and truly converted over m4/3. My Canon gear is all gone save one lens and the money used to buy new m4/3 stuff. My current kit comprises of the EM1mk2, EM5mk2, Pen-F and the Typ109 which should see me happy for a good few years.

Edit....I also had an EM-10mk1 for a while too which I really liked as it was fairly simple to use.

Last edited:

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
I was shoot Canon when m4/3 was launched, but I was very excited about the potential of the system. But the early stuff was pretty bad in terms of operational speed, AF speed and high iso quality. The system finally hit the "good enough" mark for me with the E-M5 and GH3 in 2012, but then it took another 2-3 years for the prices to work for me. I bought a GX7 in 2015 and have been quite happy with the system. Tried switching to Fuji for a few months last year and came back with a GX85 and G85. Don't think I'll switch again.

Mountain

Mu-43 All-Pro
2012 with the GX-1. Which is also the entirety of my time with photography (outside of some PS).
I had a Canon superzoom (S5is) that I had bought for my honeymoon and discarded a serious system because I didn't want to carry it, and I didn't do any serious photography (still guilty of that one). My brother bought a Sony NEX-5N which was an eye opener for me when we met for a climbing trip and I compared some of the photos after the fact (another climbing friend shot with a Fuji X100, but it was pricier than I cared to justify). Went on a mission to find a good small system. Settled on the GX-1 because it was the least expensive, and probably smallest, enthusiast type camera. Shot with only that and the "terrible" kit 14-42 for nearly a year when I added a Sigma 19mm/2.8 (I wanted the P20, but was still unwilling to spend much money on camera stuff) and the 100-300i for a trip to Peru (during a stint in TX when I wanted better gator shots). I've since added a bunch of stuff, especially in the last couple of years with kids, when I've used photography to fill in for the limited time I'm able to enjoy my non-kid friendly hobbies (climbing/mountaineering, motorcycles, etc.) I actually sold one of my motorcycles to justify buying a used GX-8 w/100-400 in 2016.

Real Name
Eric
Bought the E-P2 for my wife the first week it was out. I didnt know the first thing about photography back then, and every time I picked up her camera to take a picture I got frustrated, so I learned. I’ve since owned the pm1, e-m10, and now shoot an e-m1. My wife shoots the e-p5, which is a great camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom