Pen F or Em5 mark iii

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm thinking about an upgrade to my Em10 markii, that would be my second body next to an em1.ii that I mainly use with the pro zooms. The smaller body is used with premium primes.

Would you suggest exploring a pen F or waiting for Em5 mark iii? Why?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
If you own or are going to own a em1.ii I would get the PenF, just love that camera.
While an EM5 Mk3 would be nice it would not give you apart from weight over the EM1.2. [Well to me anyway.]

People seem to either love or hate the PenF, I love it and would get one in a blink if I had the spare cash. Don't need it, just want it.

Since you have to ask the question, I think this does not look good for the PenF, but that's OK just get what suits your needs the best.

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, I own the EM1.ii and I consider it my main body, I like the second option to be smaller and small primes friendly. I think both the cameras qualify, the EM5.iii would probably feel like a very natural upgrade to the Em10 and could even challenge the primary body in some situations since a it's essentially going to be a smaller version of the same camera.

I ask the question because I like the Pen F a lot, it feels great in hands, while I expect the EM5.iii to feel a bit more plasticky and I learned I'm very sensitive to how photo stuff feels while I handle it. It's an overall more fascinating update, but it's less fresh from a tech standpoint.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I think if I had the EM1.2 and I needed a real backup it would be the EM5.3, but if it was for a fun second camera it would be the PenF.
Tough choice

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think "fun second camera" could be an appropriate definition for what I'm looking for. How does the 20mp sensor compares to the one in the Emi.ii/Em5. Apart from the AF (no pdaf unfortunately) is it on the same level?

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
I think "fun second camera" could be an appropriate definition for what I'm looking for. How does the 20mp sensor compares to the one in the Emi.ii/Em5. Apart from the AF (no pdaf unfortunately) is it on the same level?

16mp vs 20 mp? What are you looking for? Large prints or just something you can exhibit online, such as this forum? Stacking not needed? If you, or anyone else reading, isn't shooting fast moving subjects such as sports or Bifs, I really don't understand why they would pump their hard earned money into anything other than an E M10mkll or E M5mkll and now, the E M10mklll. Spend your cash on glass!

I shoot mainly static, even though I shoot birds that aren't considered static. I sacrifice (so to speak) the chance to "capture more through technology" by simply waiting for a bird to "sit still". We (the "old school") managed to capture images on film, that were quite acceptable, long before the latest "technology blurb" told us that we needed something more such as FFS 84 points of focus!

If you have the basic knowledge of photography techniques, and your appraisal of a camera is "up to par" with regards to manual or Av, then you should be able to choose according to "cost effectiveness" and what your choice will avail you of decent glass.

If, as you say, you want a "fun camera" then the epl minis rock my boat, even with the additional viewfinder, but then again, I'm a pensioner on basic pension, but if I had more financial resources, I could gob off for hours :)

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku

According to this site the ISO performance is quite a bit better overall. PEN-F in the middle between E-M10 II & E-M5 III at higher ISO's, but base ISO similar to E-M10 II. PEN-F has different and older 20MP sensor than E-M1 II.

Although heard some criticism of this chart, but am now in the impression that overall Maximum PDR should be right. And not sure if more accurate when comparing same brand or sensor size like here now. Someone who understands it better can maybe explain.

Maximum PDR
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II9.33
Olympus PEN-F9.43
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II9.84
http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II,Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II,Olympus PEN-F

Last edited:

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
E-M5mkIII because you can just take your batteries over, heh. You'll probably like the feel of the Pen more, but have you held the E-M5mkIII yet? I missed out on the local tour, but I'd honestly rather have the E-M5mkIII. I miss the larger viewfinder (even if it'll be a little smaller in magnification) when I use the PEN-F.

Real Name
Chris
The Pen-F is cheaper of course and I don't think you will notice an IQ difference at all. If looks matter, some like the looks of the Pen-F quite a lot. The Pen-F is also considered to be pretty reliable as far as buttons and dials go. I got used to the viewfinder very quickly and never felt it was an issue holding me back in any way.

The Pen-F is not built for ergonomics as much as for style but it is still very usable. For a fun second camera, the Pen-F makes a lot of sense.

JohnJeffrey

Mu-43 Regular
I'm thinking about an upgrade to my Em10 markii, that would be my second body next to an em1.ii that I mainly use with the pro zooms. The smaller body is used with premium primes.

Would you suggest exploring a pen F or waiting for Em5 mark iii? Why?
The Pen-f was made for small primes & zooms, imo. The EM5iii has the newer processor & tech inside comparatively, and small slr footprint. So what will your favored workflo be? I have the Penf and love it! With a bigger pro zoom, it’s a bit unwieldy for action sports etc, but I bought the Pen-f kit fir street & travel ?!

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
I bet you would like either. I have both the Pen-F and the E-M1 II. I've traveled with both of them, singly and together. I haven't noticed any great difference in IQ between them. Nor is there any earth shattering IQ difference between them and the 16MB cameras, except, as one might imagine, in edge cases. I appreciate the Pen-F for the visual ambiguity it presents when I'm out walking on city streets. Folks can't tell whether it's film or digital and that's fine by me. The E-M1 is a little too modern to get by as anything other than what it is. The real difference is in the button ergonomics. The E-M1 is controllable with light gloves, the Pen-F is much dicier. And then there's weather sealing. Whether you want two good outdoor cameras or can get by with one might be a good way to think about your decision.

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for your suggestions guys, I found a lightly used Pen-F on ebay and purchased it. Now I'm waiting for the package to be delivered, hopefully next week.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Pen F any day of the week.

Not if you take it out in crap weather. And yes, I own both.

IMG_20200405_125608736.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I've been shooting for 35 years. I started long before cameras were weather resistant. In those years I've learned ways of protecting your gear in any weather situation & still be able to shoot. I even shot my Pen F w/Oly 12-40/2.8 during a Nor Easter while walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. Even with a full rain suit I was wet but the camera stayed dry. Got some great shots that day & since it was the only day I was going to be in that location, I kept shooting, but I was prepared for shooting in this weather. Keeping all my gear dry between shots was no problem either with a weather proof Billingham bag.

11GTCS

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been shooting for 35 years. I started long before cameras were weather resistant. In those years I've learned ways of protecting your gear in any weather situation & still be able to shoot. I even shot my Pen F w/Oly 12-40/2.8 during a Nor Easter while walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. Even with a full rain suit I was wet but the camera stayed dry. Got some great shots that day & since it was the only day I was going to be in that location, I kept shooting, but I was prepared for shooting in this weather. Keeping all my gear dry between shots was no problem either with a weather proof Billingham bag.
That is a valid argument and I 100% agree in many ways, but I also learned to grow up shifting the gears myself, and there are situations where an automatic is just so much easier. I’ve shot in the rain where I kept the camera dry and it was great, but I’ve also shot cyclocross races where it was raining sideways and hovering around freezing all day, mud was flying everywhere, etc. I don’t think I or anyone else could have kept the camera totally dry for that, and the total lack of care I needed to give my WR camera made for some much better pictures. So it’s definitely a 2 way street on the WR. Not strictly needed, but enables both more creative bad weather shooting and shooting in situations I’d not trust my skill to keep the camera dry in

Latest threads

Top Bottom