Paypal account info legit? Alternatives?

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi,
I've purchased photo equipment on this forum using Paypal without any difficulties. I have decided to list some of my less-used items on the Buy & Sell forum, and so spent some time reading the three how-to threads at the top. I then logged into my wife's Paypal account where I received a message that I needed to update my account issue with a proof of address. The choices were a copy of my drivers license or a copy of a recent utility bill. I chose the latter. Unfortunately, I sent full res files and they were ultimately rejected. I re-sent in the proper size this morning and am now awaiting the hopeful resolution. In the meanwhile the account is basically frozen--I can log in but not much else until Paypal processes my info.
OK, here's what I'd like to know from other members: Is this additional documentation legit? Was it always necessary or is it just because I am trying to be a seller?
I know almost every seller on this forum uses Paypal. Have any of you had charges to your account that you did not initiate? Or has your experience been smooth? Right now my wife is adamant we close our account, mostly because of the above additionally requested info, but also since we have had one bogus charge which she did not catch in time to protest. If we do close the account, any ideas to transact a buyer/seller relationship w/o Paypal would be appreciated. What is your comfort level with all of this?
Thanks,
Eric

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Years ago when I set up my PayPal account, I had to verify my bank information. However, I never recall needing to verify my address.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Paypal verifies customers details these days. But the level of verification depends on your transaction history. I had to verify my address, send them a scan of my passport, verify my bank account details, and my credit cards on my business account. But for my personal account the checks were far simpler. Just my address and bank account details.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
PayPal wants verified addresses. How they do that likely changes over time, but I think the goal is the same. Not sure what concerns would exist with providing info to PayPal. I think most (or all?) of us have bank accounts linked to them, which they can tap in to if necessary, so trust levels are pretty high. Sharing a utility bill seems less risky.

Not sure about alternatives to PayPal. Every time I hear about one it seems I soon hear how it lacks security of PayPal, but I can't say I've looked very hard. PayPal has always worked for me, and had my back the few times something went sideways.

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
@ijm5012 @Andy H. @Stanga @demiro ,
Thanks for the advice. We spent some time on the phone w/Paypal today. It looks like the additional info they requested was only required for services which we would not use. It would have been nice if they had said so in the first place, but at least they were helpful in explaining and unblocking our account. To be fair, the bogus charge that we received turned out to be an email scam and we were never charged through Paypal after all.
I'm glad to see that your experiences have been positive.
Eric

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Man it was soooo long ago when I verified my Paypal address I don't really remember how it was done. But I am fairly sure I didn't have to send them anything. I believe they probably mailed something to the address and on that was probably a code to enter in your account to show you got the mailing at the address you gave. Kind of like when you get a new credit card in the mail and then have to call in to activate it.

cnyap

Mu-43 Regular
My recollection is PayPal many years ago, after i gave them my bank acct number, deposited a few pennies into my bank to prove it was valid.
A few weeks ago, an eBay seller scammed me by sending an empty package. I think eBay and PayPal darn well should verify their users. eBay did not do what they said they’d do, then seemed to give me the runaround, so I disputed it with my credit card which took care of it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom