Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7 Announced

D

Deleted member 29884

I dislike these video-test … :) What was his problem ?
I have very good impression so far.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel
I personally really like Gerald's content, he's about as knowledgeable and scientific as they get. He's explanation of crop sensors and DoF is stellar.

So I went in and read the comments. To summarize.... His test was done a month ago. He was using a GH5, and most of the other reviewers (Gordon Lang, etc) have been using a G9. And there was one comment that a firmware release done after the video was made has improved video AF for the GH5 + 10-25mm combo.

Also a few comments about his issues with the parfocal nature of the lens, that he was doing it backwards. You should zoom in, focus, and then pull wider on the zoom to test the parfocal aspect of the lens. Which makes sense to me as you'll have much finer focus adjustment when you're zoomed in.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
Having just watched the video in it's entirety, I have to say the review is kind of crap. He either doesn't know that the lenses will use 2 completely different focusing methods, as on is Panasonic Glass with DFD support and the other isn't. He also doesn't mention what focus settings he is using.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel
Having just watched the video in it's entirety, I have to say the review is kind of crap. He either doesn't know that the lenses will use 2 completely different focusing methods, as on is Panasonic Glass with DFD support and the other isn't. He also doesn't mention what focus settings he is using.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel

While the Pany lens should have better auto focus because it was designed with DfD, and the Sigma likely has motors optimized for PDAF, they're both being driven by the CDAF in the GH5. His results are his results.

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
Hes been shooting with GH5 for a long time so i think he knows how it and the AF works but it would be interesting to know AF settings for speed and sensitive and if those settings dose impact the AF on two lenses differently as they are designed for different AF systems.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel
I couldn't resist. Not good enough for the Showcase thread, just playing around while we were out at dinner tonight.
_1080546 ba.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_1080556 ba.jpg

_1080575 ba.jpg

_1080582 ba.jpg

Mike Peters

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Peters
I've become very skeptical of almost all vloggers who post tests. These are people who make their income pushing peoples buttons by being controversial or salivating lap dogs. I don't watch anyone anymore. What I do though is actually go out and use the gear to make my living and shoot thousands of frames each week. I shoot on staff for a university and have a number of freelance clients and produce around 500 assignments each year, 90% stills and 10% video.

The video AF test this guy shows is so removed from the real world that I live in that it's astounding. Same for the guys who jump in and out of the frame. He uses the same settings for both lenses. Well that's not what you do for one thing, you take your gear and test it for the optimal setting. What works for his sigma and speed booster is probably all wrong for a native lens.

I've been using the 10-25 for a few weeks now, and the AF is just fine in my world for stills and video. Choosing the right mode for the right situation makes all the difference in the world. I find myself moving between face detect, single area and 225 area in either AFS or AFC, all day long, depending on the situation. If I choose the wrong one, that's called user error, and it's on me, not the camera.

Vloggers just cannot ever use a camera or lens long enough to get to know the true ins and outs. The reality today is that cameras and lenses are far better than ever, in every way possible. However they are not all the same. Different brands, or models within the same brands all have different strengths and weaknesses. It's up to us as users to figure out how to best exploit what we have. There is no one camera or camera system that is perfect, they all have their flaws. Pick one, use the hell out of it and learn its strengths and weaknesses.

But damn, this 10-25 is very excellent.

092619_7622_Shy Williams - Philadelphia.jpg

Yeah I'm really confused by his AF result. Wondering if its an isolated case and just his copy...

D

Deleted member 29884

Could not agree more.

I tested it for fast movements or in bad light (on EM1x) and it is more than OK.

ZapWizard

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Joshua
Despite the size, I really want this as my primary travel/vacation lens. Mostly because I find myself constantly swapping between my 7.5mm, 12mm, and 20mm to get different feeling shots. I was saving up extra hobby cash to get this lens, and just needed to save a bit more to cover taxes, but then the water heater decided it wanted die, so gotta I wait a few more months.

Latest threads

Top Bottom