OMD E-M1 MkII..... Godox V860iio Slows Down The Frame Rate

mavrixgt

New to Mu-43
Hi Folks......Anyone having this issue?

Set the OMD E-M1 MkII to 4,5,6,7 or however many frames/sec. Then put the Godox V860iio flash on and shoot with the flash.

Now the OMD E-M1 MkII will now only fire at @ 2-3 frames/sec.

I spoke to the main tech at Olympus, but they were little help as they understandably only support their own flash.

Anyone having this issue?

Does the Olympus flash slow the frame rate or keep up with the frame rate you have set?

Thanks.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
I think it has to do with recycle rates on flash units.

You can't burst more frames than the flash unit is typically capable of providing in that time for a couple of reasons.
1) If the flash power is set high enough, it has to have time to recharge the capacitor for the next flash at that power level.
2) With most flashes (especially non-manufacturer flash units in many cases), you can only use the mechanical shutter which has a lower burst rate than the electronic shutter option
3) Flash bursts too frequently over short periods of time may overheat the flash tubes. (maybe).

If the flash unit is TTL it may be telling the camera that the flash is not ready yet (similar to how you can set AF priority over release priority to keep the camera from firing if it has not achieved an AF lock), hence the slower frame rate. A manual flash unit may still allow for the up to 7 fps rate, but most of the pictures will likely have a flash misfire (as in they won't show up in the picture because the flash was unable to be triggered).

That last paragraph is probably what's going on. Because with my Metz 64AF-1 , the camera isn't going to burst with the flash active faster than the flash can keep up. But if I have burst mode turned on with a studio strobe connected via PC-sync (no TTL), it'll burst thru, with only maybe 1 or 2 of the shots getting exposed by the strobes and the rest misfiring.

mavrixgt

New to Mu-43
Hi KBeezie and thanks for the input.......

No it's not a recycle thing......I have the same flash for my Canon 5D MKIII which is 5fps......when I use the flash it's still 5fps.

If I set the Olympus to 5fps....then use the flash, it drops to 3fps.

So it seems to be something peculiar to the Olympus.

Does anyone have this issue when using an Olympus flash?.....maybe it's just an Olympus/Godox thing?

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Hi KBeezie and thanks for the input.......

No it's not a recycle thing......I have the same flash for my Canon 5D MKIII which is 5fps......when I use the flash it's still 5fps.

If I set the Olympus to 5fps....then use the flash, it drops to 3fps.

So it seems to be something peculiar to the Olympus.

Does anyone have this issue when using an Olympus flash?.....maybe it's just an Olympus/Godox thing?
It's possible that the two cameras have different policies when it comes to unknown flash units (especially if it's not TTL which I imagine it's not based on you saying you used it on a Canon as well). Canon might simply keep the burst rate regardless of detecting a flash attached (be it manual or otherwise), and Olympus may slow it down detecting a flash is attached (especially if it's an unknown non-TTL connection).

So it could still be a matter of the flash unit itself if it's a full manual flash and the different brands approach it differently (like Olympus may assume that most third party flash units won't be able to fire faster than 3 fps).

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
Ι have Olympus FL50 R which is a compatible 4/3 powerful flash and with my old Ε-5 (DSLR) capable to use it with short bursts up to 5-6 fps without any delay. To keep up with bursts for a long time you have to use an external power as optional. Unfortunately on m43 bodies there are restrictions when use my FL50R as TTL flash and flash power isn’t responsible for them. There is a delay on TTL communication (old EM1.1 had more delay) with EM1.2 which drops frame rate. If you search forum you will find more info. But when I use the flash on AUTO mode (flash meters the exposure of the scene not the camera as on TTL) there is no delay but the exposure isn’t always accurate as TTL. Also another problem with legacy 4/3 flashes is that the focus light isn’t compatible with cameras focus system.
As far I know the newer more combatible m43 flashes (I have also FL600) have different focus light and less delay on TTL mode. You have to use a very powerful flash (my FL600 isn’t ) with bursts to keep up for more than 3-4 FPS. Your Godox is powerful enough but you I think you have the same restriction as my FL50R when the TTL mode is used. Try my solution with auto mode and let us know if there is a change on camera’s frame rate.
I‘m interesting also to change my FL50R to another powerful flash just to use it with TTL bursts.

Last edited:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Comparing TTL against a different body at a different time or scene is meaningless.

Recycle time depends on flash output. If you're at 1/1 it takes 1.5 seconds for that flash (which is one of the fastest btw) to recycle, which is going to give you less than 1 FPS. Reduce the power level and it will recycle faster.

Secondly, TTL preflash takes time. It is possible that the Olympus protocol just takes longer and thus limits the maximum possible FPS under Seq-L when TTL is enabled. You may be able to work around this somewhat by using Seq-H if that only does one TTL preflash for a fixed exposure for the whole sequence. I haven't tries this though, so I don't know if that's actually what it does.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom