Olympus Black Friday Preview (goes live 11/27 at midnight EST)

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/black-friday

If you scroll down, it says that authorized dealers will have the same prices, so these prices should be available from BH Photo, Adorama, Samy's, etc.
Nothing earth-shattering. I had hope for a better discount on the EM1 Mark II. Considering that Panasonic is selling the G9 for $999, I was expecting Olympus to at least match or even undercut that pricing.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran

If you scroll down, it says that authorized dealers will have the same prices, so these prices should be available from BH Photo, Adorama, Samy's, etc.
Nothing earth-shattering. I had hope for a better discount on the EM1 Mark II. Considering that Panasonic is selling the G9 for $999, I was expecting Olympus to at least match or even undercut that pricing.
They could be banking on the size difference being a factor for many and cannot put it below E-M5 III.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Here in Sweden Olympus have a winter cash back campain going on for the E-M1 MarkII so at the moment its cheaper than the E-M5 MarkIII...Panasonic G9 also sells for around $900-1000 here, its really tempting but its quite big and heavy.

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran

Interesting that the prices are good for only one week. Probably will be extended through December but I don’t see how this helps Olympus’ sales. Nikon is clearing out the D750 for $1000 starting Thursday and as you mentioned Panasonic has the $1000 G9. A $1300 E-M1 II is hard to justify buying with the new improved G9 selling for much less.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Interesting that the prices are good for only one week. Probably will be extended through December but I don’t see how this helps Olympus’ sales. Nikon is clearing out the D750 for $1000 starting Thursday and as you mentioned Panasonic has the $1000 G9. A $1300 E-M1 II is hard to justify buying with the new improved G9 selling for much less.
Sure its a good price for a very capable camera but why would one be intressting in Nikon D750 if you dont have any Nikon lenses or are dedicated to m43 system? Personally i would not buy into a old system/mount if i didnt already own lenses for that system.

Not nessesary hard to justify the pice difference as it depends on what you are after, do you have Panasonic or Olympus lenses, are stills photography or video most important to you, how important is size/weight etctera?

cptobvious

Mu-43 Veteran
Sure its a good price for a very capable camera but why would one be intressting in Nikon D750 if you dont have any Nikon lenses or are dedicated to m43 system? Personally i would not buy into a old system/mount if i didnt already own lenses for that system.

Not nessesary hard to justify the pice difference as it depends on what you are after, do you have Panasonic or Olympus lenses, are stills photography or video most important to you, how important is size/weight etctera?
To me the D750 is interesting because as DSLR sales fall, there are some very good deals on glass. For example, yesterday the Sigma 85/1.4 Art lens was $800 and right now you can get the 35/1.4 Art for $600. I probably won’t jump back in to DSLR, but I bet the D750 will be the most popular seller in the US.

As for the G9 I consider it more or less equivalent to the E-M1 II at this point. If they were the same price I’d go with the E-M1 because I prefer the Olympus interface for shooting stills, but the G9’s better video balances it out. Plus you can bundle the PL 12-60 for $600 whereas it looks like the 12-40 Pro will remain at $800.

They could be banking on the size difference being a factor for many and cannot put it below E-M5 III.
EM5III has just been released while the EM1 Mark II is a 3 year old camera. Olympus also has discounted by $300 the EM5 III bundle with the 14-140mm lens. Given the age of the EM1 II, I would expect to see a Mark III released next year so discounting it now to clear out old stock would seem to be a good strategy.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
EM5III has just been released while the EM1 Mark II is a 3 year old camera. Olympus also has discounted by $300 the EM5 III bundle with the 14-140mm lens. Given the age of the EM1 II, I would expect to see a Mark III released next year so discounting it now to clear out old stock would seem to be a good strategy.
It took 4,5 years for E-M5 II to get an update, while they said they will extend the release cycle so compared to that it still has 1,5 years to go. With not much sale prices I wonder if they will release it yet.

Also E-M1X is not very old so will they announce a new better camera a year after it's release date? I don't find it very likely that a new E-M1 model comes out very soon, current model is quite competent still.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom