Off-Topic: Headphones

astrostl

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Justin Honold
When I'm "serious" (a more and more narrow use-case), I have a couple pairs of Sony MDR-7506 studio phones. Most of my travel/exercise use was recently a pair of PowerBeats2 Bluetooth phones, but I just picked up a pair of AirPods and don't see myself using the PB any more. The "dental floss" charging case is fantastic, as is the remove-to-pause/insert-to-play workflow. Also held up fine against airplane noise on a recent trip. Only wish is that they had physical volume buttons.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One of the nicest, cleanest sounding set of reasonably priced Bluetooth headphones I've had the pleasure of listening to, would be the Bose Quiet comfort 35's Oh my. The noise cancelling is freakishly astounding.
For the $$, I'm very very happy with my Skull Candy Grind wireless. Great sound for the price point.

Edit -I've got the original version, with the volume control. Still going strong.

Last edited:

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Couldn't stand the comfort of my cheap Tao Tronics BH040 so I got these Sony XM3's instead. Have heard that the sound is quite bass-intense but it sounds great after some EQ tuning, and also the latest firmware corrects that. So it will be most interesting trying these state-of-the-art ANC cans.

Sony vs Tao Tronics
by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

Rainman

Mu-43 Regular
I am always tempted to try new headphones. I feel they are relatively cheap for the enjoyment they provide, and I would like to hear some Beyerdynamics, AKGs, Philips or Focals. However, I probably never will. I bought my original pair of Sennheiser HD580s in 1998, and still enjoy them. I've swapped cables once, but that's a common mod anyways. And then I picked up a set of HD558s several years ago. I did some kind of mod to them, removing a film or plastic or some such. I am very satisfied with both, however, even though I've already had them 20 years and have no issues, if they do break I'm going to try something new.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Had to replace my Sony XM3's because of some acoustic feedback problem (read more). But now I have had my new pair a few weeks and they are astounding! What a difference in ANC performance compared to other I've tried! And the functions are fantastic, ambient sound and optimizer, touch control. After some EQ they sound great also. Expensive things but well worth it if you are looking for these kinds of things.

Accept - Balls to the wall
by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When I'm "serious" (a more and more narrow use-case), I have a couple pairs of Sony MDR-7506 studio phones. Most of my travel/exercise use was recently a pair of PowerBeats2 Bluetooth phones, but I just picked up a pair of AirPods and don't see myself using the PB any more. The "dental floss" charging case is fantastic, as is the remove-to-pause/insert-to-play workflow. Also held up fine against airplane noise on a recent trip. Only wish is that they had physical volume buttons.
I hate to admit it, but the damn AirPods have won me over as well. Functionality is super-slick, and sound quality is at least "good enough". I'll still use my Grados for serious listening, but if I'm honest that is a rare occasion. Convenience wins out again...

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I’ve gone off and bought several headphones and a (very expensive) pair of IEMs since my last updates - on the full-sized end Massdrop now just ‘drop’) is a great way to get classic designs at a lower price. I have both their Sennheiser HD6XX (basically an HD650) and HiFiMan HE4XX (an HE400i variant), and got myself a Meze 99 Classic locally (EU company after all). Each has its own definite style and signature, although I get the distinct impression I don’t actually have amplifiers that will drive them properly.

I also recently splurged on a Campfire Audio Andromeda S (shiny stainless steel limited run), which I probably should not have done. Because it makes my Shure SE535 sound all dull and relatively lifeless in comparison.

Currently on order is an iBasso DX220 DAP with an extra amp card, since experience tells me I’m very unlikely to sit at a desk and use a desktop amp, or build a stack with my phone and separate headphone amp. I have a fairly quiet bike commute of total 45-50 minutes a day, and I actually find open back cans work fine, also easy to hear traffic. So I got the Amp8 balanced amp card (which supplies 1200mw per channel, balanced), which should be enough to make the HD650 and HE4XX sing a little sweeter. Should be arriving this week. I hope.

Oh, and because I do enjoy a bit of DIY, and can’t be bothered to pay for all the extra needed cables, I’ve ordered some cable making materials to roll myself some paracord sheathed and braided cables. At least the Meze balanced canlemI have fits the HiFiMan already. Seems like good soldering practice for my tube amp kit (guitar amp) that’s waiting to be built some day...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom