Off-Topic: Headphones

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
one thing about headphones you can have fun relatively cheap in a way ?

now for headphones I can say spend $150 - $300 or so and get quite a different sounding setup which is kinda fun

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Yes, all of my headphones were $300 or less except for the HD600. Sennheiser seems to strictly enforce their minimum pricing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

donlaw

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don Lawrence
Amin, congratulations on the on the HD600. I haven't tried them, but have read many say they compare well to the HD650. I use my HD650 almost every day and continue to be amazed at the sound they produce and how they can bring new life to tunes I have heard many times before.
Enjoy.

Yes, all of my headphones were $300 or less except for the HD600. Sennheiser seems to strictly enforce their minimum pricing. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I've only needed a very short listen with the HD600 to be very pleased with this purchase! At first I was only getting sound out of the right ear ear unless I wiggled the cable just right. Very disconcerting! Then I read this incredibly helpful tip from the guide at Head-fi:

Troubleshooting/Known Issues:

Some HD 600s are known to ship with the cable inserted loosely. This can cause the sound to cut out of either side when the cable is moved. To fix this, push the cable in hard, not just a little hard, but push it in with the angry fist of a god hard. Once it's in hard, it should stay that way on it's own.
Problem solved! :biggrin: I wonder how many HD600 get returned/exchanged over this issue? :rolleyes:

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
I enjoy my Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphones, at least until I rob the bank for Sennheiser HD800 :))

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for this advice! I spent some time reading about the HD650 in various places, and ultimately I decided to order the HD600 instead. Here's why: neither my HE-400 nor my DT770 are considered neutral. The HE-400 are often said to be "dark", and the DT770 are usually called "bassy". From what I've read, the HD650 are have more bass and are a bit more "colored" than the HD600, so I figured the HD600 would be a better contrast to my current headphones. While I was reading up on the HD600, I came across a lot on the Beyerdynamic DT880, which some preferred to the HD600 despite the Beyers costing less than half as much as the Sennheisers. Being a Beyer fan already, I ordered the DT880 Pro (250 ohm) too :rolleyes:. Now I am done buying headphones for a long time :smile:.

As a side note, there is an overwhelming amount of information on Head-fi. Just the discussions about DT880 600 ohm vs 250 ohm alone - there is material to read for hours on end if you have time. Look at this crazy thread about that. My takeaway there was that most people who haven't tried them side by side know that the 600ohm sound better, whereas those who have listened to them side are evenly split between preferring the 250 ohm, preferring the 600 ohm, and finding no difference.
There are a lot who prefer the HD600 to the 650 but equally as much who do the opposite !!! I prefer the latter, but it's because my Stax 507 is not a bassy headphone.
As for the DT880, personnaly this not a sound differenciation, it all dépends on the gear you will use it. If you use it with an OTL tube amp (requiring a high impedance HP) then the 600 ohm is going to win.

One day you will succumb to the HD650 ^^, but will happily live until then with you HD600!

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm currently enjoying the test drive of my shiny new Shure SE535 IEMs! I had the old 215s for years, and figured it was time for an upgrade. They sound fantastic, but they're less forgiving than cheaper phones of poor mixes and over compressed tracks. Difference between listening on my iPhone vs my computer (Focusrite Scarlett interface) is huge though. I fear a Fiio or iBasso may be in my future...

uci2ci

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sam
I have a dual driver in-ear UE headphones from before Creative bought them. Dont know the model number off hand. They've lasted me for many years and I love them to death.

HK has refurb AKG 550 headphone on sale right now for 130 bux...its a steal if youre in the market for a nice pair of closed headphones.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Here's my Head-fi setup right now:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pictured: Hifiman HE-400, Schiit Asgard 2, Schiit Magni, Audioengine A5+

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
nice, I use SE530 sometime also, got the Mic-hearing-unit also, perfect when travelling and they come and ask what coffe you want :)

Actually, this thread got me inspired to buy a USB-DAC Headphone Amp, on it's way, will be cool!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HA-info-U2-Plus-V2-AD1852-USB-Sound-Card-DAC-Headphone-Amp-U2-/261362327140

Have now tried it a little, great device. I use with two different headphones, these have less impedance (16Ohm) so I need to lower the input volume so I can turn the volume up a little on the device, otherwise there are some whining sound. Plug&Play in both Win XP,7,8.

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
yeah but the pup is so worth it to my kids and us :)

he has now also ate all our drip irrigation system :) ahahahahahha he comes in with some drip lines all proud like LOOK I KILLED A SNAKE and its just our drip irrigation !

our kids are learning keep stuff up though :) glad puppies are only pups so long though :)

got to laugh at things like this :) but we do have a gate up to keep him in one area for a while :) ahhaah

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Anyone here about portable lossless solution? The dx90 is pretty awesome. Even though I have just too many headphones, I just got the nice sony IEM to go with, and rocking while comuting!!

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Adorama Sennheiser deals are back:

Sennheiser HD600 Audiophile Dynamic Hi-Fi or Professional Stereo Headphones

http://www.adorama.com/SEHD600.html?emailprice=t&KBID=65781

$224 after $25 mail in rebate (Regular $399.95)

Mail in rebate: https://admin.4myrebate.com/Document/PreviewOffer?OfferID=500715&PDFID=39

Free Shipping. Expires 05/05

Sennheiser HD650 Audiophile Dynamic Hi-Fi Stereo Headphones

http://www.adorama.com/SEHD650.html?emailprice=t&KBID=65781

$274 after $25 mail in rebate (Regular $499.95)

Both are fantastic headphones and a steal at these prices.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
My main headphones for home listening is the HiFiMAN HE-500 along with the silver cables. I use a Mytek 192 DSD-DAC as well as Audirvana Plus as my music player app. Sounds great.

On the move, I use a Sony MDR-1RBT along with my iPhone 6 Plus. What's great is that because it's a bluetooth headphone, not having to deal with a cable bouncing around. It does have an option cable jack just in case you do want to run them with a cable which sounds marginally better.

If I'm carrying a bunch of camera gear and don't have room in my bag for the Sony, I just end up using the Apple EarPods although they sound pretty muddy.

W

WithOpenedEyes

In the quality audio world, there are a few things worth spending a little more for. Unfortunately, just reading about them doesn't quite convince you that you need them. There's no substitute for finding a decent audio store and giving a listen. Trouble is that good audio stores are not easy to find. But if you enjoy using headphones, do yourself a huge favor and find a Sennheiser dealer and give the pricier ones a good listen. Bring a couple of CD's that you know inside and out. But be prepared to not want to stop listening once you try the Senn's. They're soooo comfortable and the sound quality is just about as good as it can get. Easy to get hooked on them.

D

Deleted member 20897

Check out Sol Republic's offerings as well as select Sennheiser. They are the 2 best bang for the buck I've found.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom