Minolta to M43 adapter

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
I guess this is a branch from my topic about Nikon to M43 adapters. There I said I bought a Viltrox Nikon to M43 focal reducer, and I am liking it a lot. Unfortunately, as far as I know Viltrox don't make a Minolta to M43 focal reducer. And the Metabones is a bit too expensive at this point in my hobby. So I am looking around for a good but not Metabones expensive MD to M43 focal reducer.

One of my requirements would be that you can adjust infinity focus on the focal reducer. I know it can be done on my Nikon-M43 Viltrox (I have done it), and it is my understanding that the Metabones allows this as well.

So the question is, as of January 2019 which options are there in focal reducers for Minolta to micro four thirds and what are the opinions on them?

I know / have heard of:
- Metabones (too expensive for me at the moment)
- Mitakon / Zhongyi Lens Turbo II

Regards, Christine

barry

Super Moderator
Hi, the LTII is good, but afaik does not have an adjustment for focus. All of my lenses focus past infinity on both the LTII and on my Fotga plain adapter, so adjustment is not critical.

I did adjust 2 of my lenses, but then found the infinity point is not exactly the same on each adapter, and it involves partially disassembling the lenses.

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
^^^^^
I have the same one. On the collective advice, I got Canon (EF?) to m43, and then got multiple X-to Canon adapters so that I can go anything-to-m43 through the LT2. Much more cost effective.

barry

Super Moderator
^^^^^
I have the same one. On the collective advice, I got Canon (EF?) to m43, and then got multiple X-to Canon adapters so that I can go anything-to-m43 through the LT2. Much more cost effective.
But I don't think you can adapt Minolta SR (aka MD) to Canon EF or FD, at least not without a lens in the adapter.

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
o_O

I’ll have to look when I get home, but I’m pretty sure I have an SR to EF adapter. It contains an optical element to allow infinity focusing.

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Sorry, incomplete explanation. I use various lenses and X-to-m43 adapters as straight adaptations. I don’t remember what I was looking for, but the advice was to get an EF-to m43 Lens Turbo, and then get X-to-EF adapters to use whatever lenses with the Lens Turbo. So I use all of them. But...no Canon lenses.

barry

Super Moderator
Sorry, incomplete explanation. I use various lenses and X-to-m43 adapters as straight adaptations. I don’t remember what I was looking for, but the advice was to get an EF-to m43 Lens Turbo, and then get X-to-EF adapters to use whatever lenses with the Lens Turbo. So I use all of them. But...no Canon lenses.
Yes, that's generally good advice as most SLR mounts can adapt to EF without any extra optics.

I'm not sure how good the SR to EF adapters are, because of the lens in them... which one do you use and what do you think of it?

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
#sheepish...
Got the adapter and have fiddled with some Takumars and K mounts, but haven’t popped the 58 or the 200 on there. I’ll be back home later this week and will get to work. Pretty sure that the one I have is the KF Concept.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Just to be clear I assume you mean Minolta SR mount (also known by it variant names MC & MD) This has a registration of 43.72mm (less than EF so can't go via that mount).

Minolta also made other SLR mounts, The A-mount (identical to the Sony A-mount) & the short lived Vectris mount for APSC film.
Adapters are available for A-mount, but the Vectris mount is pretty much useless - all electronic & with relatively few lenses/camera.

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I don’t think there’s any loss of FOV. Theoretically some light loss, but I suspect negligible. Plus, you’ll have some of that through the Lens Turbo as well. I’m on testing assignment when I get home.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I don’t think there’s any loss of FOV. Theoretically some light loss, but I suspect negligible. Plus, you’ll have some of that through the Lens Turbo as well. I’m on testing assignment when I get home.
To work it has to function as a teleconverter, so some FOV is definitely lost. I don't know about SR to EF adapters but M42 to Nikon models are typically 1.2x TCs giving ~20% loss of FOV.

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
To work it has to function as a teleconverter, so some FOV is definitely lost. I don't know about SR to EF adapters but M42 to Nikon models are typically 1.2x TCs giving ~20% loss of FOV.

I have one and notice no loss (do you mean vignetting?) on APS frame. Used with as wide as 28mm SR-mount lens.

Robert Davidson

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm missing something or confused about what we are now talking about.
Minolta to M43 adapter was the topic!
I only know about the straight adapter (no glass), and the Turbo lens which increases FOV (50mm to 35mm roughly), and increases aperture by 1 stop.
Are we now onto some other adapter?

barry

Super Moderator
I'm missing something or confused about what we are now talking about.
Minolta to M43 adapter was the topic!
I only know about the straight adapter (no glass), and the Turbo lens which increases FOV (50mm to 35mm roughly), and increases aperture by 1 stop.
Are we now onto some other adapter?
Hi, a lot of people like to buy adapters and (more expensive) focal reducers (e.g. MetaBones Speed Booster) in Canon EF -> Mu43, as EF is the closest available to a ideal 'universal receiver' that could ideally accept any other mount's lenses.
Unfortunately, SR (MD) mount has a shorter flange distance than EF, so this doesn't work out well for SR lenses, and is only possible with an optical adapter leading to compromise, which is what we're discussing now.
EF adapters do work well for many other mounts though.

For anyone looking to use SR on Mu43 in most straightforward way, an SR/MD adapter and/or focal reducer is still the simplest means.

barry

Super Moderator
I have one and notice no loss (do you mean vignetting?) on APS frame. Used with as wide as 28mm SR-mount lens.
Nope, not vignetting, just overall a bit of light loss (compared to a plain SR->Mu43 adapter, and probably a bit less sharp and possibly other aberrations.
And a bit narrower FoV.

Latest threads

Top Bottom