Mabuhay (ulit) !! - The Everything Pinoy (Filipino) Thread

Hyubie

Unique like everyone else
Real Name
Herbert
Hello! Thought I'd start a thread, as suggested by xdayv, for Filipinos here in the community.

To kick it off, murmurs have been starting about doing a meetup/photo walk in Manila (or thereabouts).

I'd love to go, but I'll be in Manila for only two weeks in August, and I'm afraid that's too little a time to allow for even a day away from family. BUT - I'll definitely try (and August is a big IF).

Adubo, ball's yours! :)

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for starting this. Unfortunately I have no plans to visit this year (spent Christmas with the in laws in Quezon City last December). Would love to see photos from the team that gets a photo shoot going.

For the forum members who are Manila/Pinas-based, how popular is m4/3? I have friends from high school and college who are active in the Camera Club of the Phillipines, and it looks like the gear is still predominantly Ca-Nikon DSLR boat anchors. :) then again, not much different from anywhere, I guess.

Hyubie

Real Name
Herbert
Don't know where else to post this, but I'm pumped - PUMPED - to see people finally realize that Manila's gritty streets has its own character that is very much alive. Yes, I've just seen The Bourne Identity's full trailer on the big screen! :biggrin:

... and I survived one of the grittiest of them all - 100% born and raised in Quiapo. :wink:

Adubo does a great job bringing out some of this character. Anyone else? C'mon share 'em! :smile:

greenarcher02

Mu-43 Veteran
Well there's an FB group dedicated to MFT users in the Philippines, so there's that.

But personally, I only know 3 people (so far) besides me who uses MFT. One unknown person here in my office who also has a GX1, aduboo who was pushing me to the system (vs. NEX), and my officemate's blockmate who uses a red G3, and I'm trying to convince him to buy one as well haha. I also have another friend who I'm convincing to ditch the LX5 for a GF3 or GF5, lol.

EDIT: Here's Manila, but I didn't have a GX1 then (this photowalk kind of triggered my desire for a proper camera), I only used an N900 and... they're heavily photoshopped. lol.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I wish I took more photos when I was in Manila last year. Unfortunately it was raining the entire time I was there and couldn't get out!

agwe

Mu-43 Regular
I wish I took more photos when I was in Manila last year. Unfortunately it was raining the entire time I was there and couldn't get out!

Sadly the weather situation right now isn't quite that photo walk friendly unless you got the em5, 12-50/12-35 and a set of gills. Rain hasn't stopped for days.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

greenarcher02

Mu-43 Veteran
Sadly the weather situation right now isn't quite that photo walk friendly unless you got the em5, 12-50/12-35 and a set of gills. Rain hasn't stopped for days.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

True. Just when I started bringing my GX1 for random shots, I can't use it!

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
True. Just when I started bringing my GX1 for random shots, I can't use it!

Not quite the weather sealing of the E-M5, but maybe a good sized "supot" over the camera, lens hood holding it down on the front end (with appropriate cut out for the lens opening) and another cut out for the eyepiece, with eye cup or rubber band to hold it in place. :smile: Sorry, my age is showing, that's what I used to do when street shooting in Quiapo and Paco Park with my OM-1n ages ago. Then again, I know you have to be careful with the electronics on our :43:S.

With a username like yours, you have to be a La Salista-- or a big Roin Hood fan.

greenarcher02

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the tip! I might do that for our upcoming Higantes festival in November. And I might use ziploc.

I'm not really a La Salista. But I'm just a huge fan of green and archers. (Yes my favorite Avenger is Hawkeye [and Thor]). LOL.

Hyubie

Real Name
Herbert
To everyone back home, take care! I hope everyone (and every one of your cameras! :biggrin:) are safe.

I will be joining you this Thursday - I miss the torrential rains and waist-high floods, pulls me back down from first-world problems. :smile:

(Yes, I know floods are serious business and people get hurt. I know. Also, my wife and my kids, who went ahead of me to be there, are stuck in a flooded area. Just trying to answer the situation with humor. :wink:)

kornfan

Mu-43 Rookie
Mabuhay mga kababayan!! Mari here from New York. Take care guys! Stay dry

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for the tip! I might do that for our upcoming Higantes festival in November. And I might use ziploc.

I'm not really a La Salista. But I'm just a huge fan of green and archers. (Yes my favorite Avenger is Hawkeye [and Thor]). LOL.

Go Hawkeye! Especially in the latest movie! My favorite was always Iron Man and Capt. America (maybe that's why I ended up here?). I have used the big freezer ziplocks; a disposable poncho works as well.

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
To everyone back home, take care! I hope everyone (and every one of your cameras! :biggrin:) are safe.

I will be joining you this Thursday - I miss the torrential rains and waist-high floods, pulls me back down from first-world problems. :smile:

(Yes, I know floods are serious business and people get hurt. I know. Also, my wife and my kids, who went ahead of me to be there, are stuck in a flooded area. Just trying to answer the situation with humor. :wink:)

Hyubie- good reminders. You and your family stay safe.

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
Don't know where else to post this, but I'm pumped - PUMPED - to see people finally realize that Manila's gritty streets has its own character that is very much alive. Yes, I've just seen The Bourne Identity's full trailer on the big screen! :biggrin:

... and I survived one of the grittiest of them all - 100% born and raised in Quiapo. :wink:

Adubo does a great job bringing out some of this character. Anyone else? C'mon share 'em! :smile:

Saw this post from a Pinoy on RF forum.

Om-d + 12-35/2.8 - Rangefinderforum.com

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colored Birds, Colored Popcorn, Colored Stools, atbp

Some photos from our Christmas 2011 visit. Shot with both the E-PL1 and E-P1, around my in-laws' neighborhood in SFDM, Quezon City.

PL-1 + Panny 20mm F1.7
The brown "mayas" (sparrows) and chicken chicks painted in interesting colors, outside San Pedro Bautista Church.
PC240310.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Colored popcorn and kropek, also outside the church.
PC240320.jpg

Stools in the corner beer house, across my in-law's house.
PC240329.jpg

Street Scene, from above
PC250061.jpg

With the E-P1 and 20mm
My older son at the back of San Pedro Bautista Church
PC2515361.jpg

penfan2010

Mu-43 All-Pro
Barquillos

X100, a bit of PP on Aperture 3.0

DSCF1198.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom