Lurked as long as possible

Bonobo

Mu-43 Rookie
Figured I'd join up. My camera kit is going through a massive rethinking this year as I re-evaluate my needs and what brings me enjoyment. So far this reorganization has yielded my most productive year yet for photography. Now that my main has been taken care of (going from Pentax to Canon FF), need to sort out my backup (currently Fuji X-A1).

I'm still not a MFTer yet, but I'm zeroing in on one and should join your ranks in the next month. This will be my backup system for quick access, street, and unobtrusive family gathering documentation (especially when visiting the in-laws). I haven't decided whether this will be an OMD M10ii, M5ii, or GX85 yet. There's temptation to just stay in Canon and grab an M100, but I'm drawn to MFT for the whole system. Might come down to which is the best deal once I've sold the Fuji. My leanings are toward Olympus cause I'm much more of a stills shooter.

Already learned a lot from you all. Look forward to more.

Bonobo

Mu-43 Rookie
I'm less concerned with sensor size than I was in the past. For 1. My Canon covers that. And 2. I've spent enough time lurking here and elsewhere to see what you all can do with this format. Good light is good light and I don't print a lot of huge prints. That said, I'm more than open to the insight of the hive mind here. If you all help me decide— in a way pixel peeping dpreview hasn't yet— to go Canon M, that will be a boon to me.

What I'm looking for is something that's enjoyable to use and easy to have on me. Staying within Fuji, I thought that would be the X-T20 but I cannot make myself like that camera. It's like my hands are allergic to it. And more and more I'm resorting to my phone over the X-A1 and that's a good cue to me that I need to change it up.

Bonobo

Mu-43 Rookie
There's also a good chance I just have a thing where I can't stay away from camera brands that everyone else says are doomed.

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I'm less concerned with sensor size than I was in the past. For 1. My Canon covers that. And 2. I've spent enough time lurking here and elsewhere to see what you all can do with this format. Good light is good light and I don't print a lot of huge prints. That said, I'm more than open to the insight of the hive mind here. If you all help me decide— in a way pixel peeping dpreview hasn't yet— to go Canon M, that will be a boon to me.

What I'm looking for is something that's enjoyable to use and easy to have on me. Staying within Fuji, I thought that would be the X-T20 but I cannot make myself like that camera. It's like my hands are allergic to it. And more and more I'm resorting to my phone over the X-A1 and that's a good cue to me that I need to change it up.

The specs of a camera or what others like, dislike or think about it does not matter as much as how it feels in your hand. That can be said about any tool from hammers, screw drivers, wrenches or cameras. Some folks never get that through their heads. For some the Fuji will feel better and provide a tactile interface that some shooters associate better with and for others one of the 4/3's or some Sony product might fill the bill. From that point it's just determining which model has the features that appeal to you for your usage. Since such decisions are highly personal and dependent on an individuals needs I find it more than a bit amusing when people ask others what they think or what they should buy. Makes me wonder at times who they asked when deciding whom to marry or date. Nobody can help you with deciding who to date or marry and with the same uncertainty nobody can help you decide which camera is best for you. Hope you find that which will fit your needs.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I’m sure Canon would be amused to hear that. Mu43 does have some smaller bodies that compliment DSLRs size. You could also wait to see the new Canon FF mirrorless offerings. And welcome!

Last edited:

Ed Diaz

Mu-43 Regular
If you all help me decide— in a way pixel peeping dpreview hasn't yet— to go Canon M, that will be a boon to me.

What I'm looking for is something that's enjoyable to use and easy to have on me.

If you're looking at the whole system, and primarily focused on stills, I would opt for m43 over Canon M. Just not sure if Canon will be able to commit a whole lot of time and resources to their M lineup while they're rolling out their FF mirrorless.

As far as enjoyable to use, though it's completely subjective, I enjoy shooting with Oly OMDs over all the cameras I've had/tried (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic).

Bonobo

Mu-43 Rookie
"What I'm looking for is something that's enjoyable to use and easy to have on me."

That's why I love my X-E3.....just about perfect for everyday carry!

Well there is a budget to consider...

I find it more than a bit amusing when people ask others what they think or what they should buy. Makes me wonder at times who they asked when deciding whom to marry or date. Nobody can help you with deciding who to date or marry and with the same uncertainty nobody can help you decide which camera is best for you.

I hardly think buying a backup camera is like choosing a spouse. One always has the option to put the camera on Ebay should it not work out.
Also, note I didn't really intend to ask anyone to make my decision for me, only acknowledged that I am aware others have experience and insight that differs from my own, even beyond my own hands on research, and I value that and am open to hearing it. It's all data.

I’m sure Canon would be amused to hear that. Mu43 does have some smaller bodies that compliment DSLRsn size. You could also wait to see the new Canon FF mirrorless offerings. And welcome!
I've perused more than a few threads of handwringing over at POTN forums and Dpreview. I don't think actual Canon is all that worried.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew L
Welcome! The GX85 is one heck of a stills shooter - largely I feel like the conventional wisdom that Olympus is more for still and Panny is more for video has outlived its usefulness. I vote going for the GX85 just to get the best possible experience with the 20mm f1.7 (no high-ISO banding and slightly faster as well as more reliable focus performance). It's a lens that needs to be experienced firsthand.

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I hardly think buying a backup camera is like choosing a spouse. One always has the option to put the camera on Ebay should it not work out.
Haven't you ever heard of Divorce court? That's comparable to putting a camera up for sale on Ebay and it's quite popular. I believe Elizabeth Taylor did it six or seven times and nearly 55% of all marriages end up there.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I really enjoy my GX80 with all my lenses with the exception of the P100-300. I have handled and shot with the P G9 and I really like it, but it is large. Surprised to find it is larger than the Z7. The GX9 is not enough of an improvement over my GX80. My FZ82 does not give the quality of my Panasonic lenses, the zoom is great, it handles well but....no GAS for me. Anyway that Z7 is too expensive.

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
My vote would be for the 10ii or gx85, even a gx7 if you could find a good deal.
One of the best deals is the gx85 dual lens kits that can be picked up for around $500 at times. I prefer primes to kits, but everyone talks highly of the 12-32.

Mountain

Mu-43 All-Pro
Welcome. I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. Ive had good luck with my Panasonic cameras, just shooting stills. I think a GX85 would be great, esp paired with the 20mm 1.7 and maybe the tiny 12-32 and 35-100 vario. The rokinon 7.5 fisheye is a great and compact lens as well. Throw in the 42.5 1.7 next for a portrait prime for a complete kit that is still super tiny

Bonobo

Mu-43 Rookie
paired with the 20mm 1.7 and maybe the tiny 12-32...Throw in the 42.5 1.7 next for a portrait prime

That's essentially the lineup I'm thinking about. Not much more for what I intend of this setup. Maybe a slightly wider wide prime (17? 15?), still haven't researched those options much. Been more body focused.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I'm a retired professional from the "good ole" film days. Worked with everything from 4x5 view cameras, 120 rollfilm ('Blads, RB67s, Rollei TLRs, and more), Nikon F, F2, and F3's, and 70mm long roll production cameras. I currently have GH5 and G85 for when I know I'm going to do "serious" stuff, but most of the time I have a GX85 with me for the absolute convenience of it's size and lack of weight (important as I turn 80).

I find that with what I've learned in my working days (and still learning, too) I can make this little jewel do pretty much anything the bigger gear mentioned above did for me. I don't find the smaller sensor size of m4/3 holds me back from anything. And for low light I've got sense enough to use "fast glass" on whichever body I reach for, the GX85 included.

Latest threads

Top Bottom