Shootout Leica vs. Panasonic: The Duel I Never Thought I'd Make

11GTCS

Mu-43 Veteran
No offense meant whatsoever. This is one of the friendliest forums and it must remain so.
I think you have thoroughly misunderstood me.

I was talking of comparing cameras. We all know that even a vintage Porsche is much better than a 21st century Beetle in quite some aspects. For some people the fun is in taking them to pieces, for others it's the driving, and there are those for whom the fun is in testing, that's quite normal. What I wanted to make clear is that I need no testing here to prove the superiority in many (not all) fields. The real fun is, as I said, in the driving, that is in using the tool for what it was made for.

Where I'm completely with you is comparing vintage lenses to modern ones. A Summilux or a Noctilux can still teach modern engineers lessons and of course there are big differences in DOF, bokeh, sharpness, rendering of colours etc. which you see immediately when you compare photos taken. That's why I'm still using some of my old (purely manual) lenses in between next to the modern primes. These comparisons can be quite interesting and are fun, too. Here I'm completely with you. Hope there's nothing more to misunderstand now. No lecturing meant either.

I'm wishing you much fun with this excellent engengineer's gem, take it outside and let us see your photos.
And my best wishes for your Master's degree. My university years definitely were one of the highlights in my life.

I definitely misunderstood you, and I apologize for being a little bit quick on the draw there. I half expected some derrogatory comments, even here, since Leica draws the ire of many people (rightly, they make very polarizing decisions). When you commented, I just inferred that assumed thought that I had projected on people who might respond.

I definitely can't wait to "drive" the heck out of this one! If anything, the Leica has already shown me how lazy I've become as a photographer. I used to prefocus lenses based on guessed distances, always subconsciously adjust exposure as I changed lighting, etc. Modern cameras are amazing but they definitely take that instinctive edge off!

I agree wholeheartedly on lenses. My favorite lenses every, bar none, are the Zeiss 40mm f/3.5 Tessar in my Rollei 35 and the Zeiss 150mm f/4 Sonnar from my old 'Blad 500CM. Both give my favorite renderings of any camera and I love the way I shoot with both.

Thanks for the well wishes! Only 4 days until my defense, so you'll see some images soon!

11GTCS

Mu-43 Veteran
While this post is really quite old, In the end the Leica didn’t stick. I’m back, and one of the first lenses I rebought? The PL 25, because there’s just something about the imperfect perfection that is the character of that lens. The lenses and the compactness of this system are really unbeatable for my use
9FD1C711-5EAC-47A2-913E-9C5FB63CD9B0.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom