I'm sick of dealing with Adobe

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
On the MacBook I'm only repeating what I was told on Monday by a friend using an older MacBook. He said there were just (lightning?) ports available on the new model.
Checking specs it was probably Thunderbolt ports which seem to be USB3 type c - so still needing an adapter for everyday memory sticks/hard drives etc.
The power supplies has been a constant source of issues with my daughters IPhone, no one else's charger works for her & the cables she gets fail regularly.
USB-C is supposed to be the new standard, but it’s not without its issues. The port is designed to handle many things, but the implementation on the hardware side is still up to the OEM. That one port is on many things, but it doesn’t mean every device will behave as expected, depending on what you plug it into. For example, many USB-C devices don’t feature Thunderbolt-3 controllers, so plugging a TB3 enclosure into such devices will get you nowhere. There has also been an issue with cheap non-standard cables not only being unreliable, but actually damaging equipment, since USB-C is designed to supply way more power than previous USB port/cable specs. It’s been a bit of a minefield.

With that in mind, and without trying to sound like an Apple apologist, this is why Lightning connectors aren’t such a bad thing, or perhaps at least one of the reasons Apple has used their own connector. As it is, cheap, off-brand lightning cables just don’t last. Every non-Apple cable and charger I have ever purchased has failed in less than a year, but none of my Apple-branded chargers and maybe one cable have failed. And some of those cables and chargers are several years old now. As crazy as it sounds, there is a very wide range of quality in these relatively simple items. I think this lack of certainly has severely hampered USB-C adoption. It seems most OEMs just use it as a standard charging port, but even then, it’s not a comfortable standard.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Mind you, I'm not a fan of that apple policy either. Luckily my 2014 Retina is still going very strong (battery will have to be replaced some time soon). It still has full size HDMI out and SD card reader. I wish I had had the money to get 16GB.

Anyway. This shouldn't be an apple discussion anyway. The good thing about them is, that if you don't like them you can just buy windows/android and have all the things you might want (in slightly different packaging). This is what's missing here. While some complain about the implementation of the mobile Workflow in Adobe Creative Cloud, I don't think there is even a single competitor? Maybe apple photos, but who wants that....(answer: not even apple users).

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
The number of complaints I hear/see about Adobe! :eek-31: Am I glad that I stuck with the weary old CS6 and hung on to the CD. Seems to do everything that I need. I downloaded a trial of LR once and didn't even try to use it. The interface just overwhelmed me. I guess I'm just an old dog who doesn't learn new tricks :whistling: Truth is, I have trouble remembering the old ones most times :rolleyes::laugh:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Yeah... I hate to be paying Adobe ~100EUR a year to be their beta tester. They write cr**py code and the paying customers have to suffer because of their lousy work. I NEVER install their latest updates because I know it will only cause issues. Better to stay one update behind where they already have fixed the most annoying issues/bugs.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I tried to get away, but LR Classic workflow is hard to break. Even really tried to go all LR CC but too many compromises for how I work. And I'm slow to want to change how I work, heh.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Last month when subscription ended the kid could hold him for ransom because by that time the Xbox had turned itself into a $350 YouTube streaming device.

Whatever happened to the concept of buying games and loading them to the Xbox? Is that not available anymore? Simple solution never ever give your kids a debit or credit card unless it is paid for with their own money they earn.

Whatever happened to the concept of buying games and loading them to the Xbox? Is that not available anymore? Simple solution never ever give your kids a debit or credit card unless it is paid for with their own money they earn.
You still buy and install but a some games are online multi-player only which need the paid service else they are useless after installation. Others have a single player campaign + multi player component to it. You install the game on Xbox and then can play single player without any other paid sub but to play multi player you need that paid sub and multi player online is all the rage these days apparently.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just picked up ON1 for $70. They have (had?) a secret sale going on where it offered me a 30% discount during my last visit to the site.

With the possibilities of the companion Mobile app, PR 20 has real potential. Now if I could just get On1 to expand the dang Browse module so you can import to destination folders and rename image files the same way as is possible in Lrr, C1P, Photo Mechanic and others.

Latest threads

Top Bottom