Haida M7 or M10 Filter Holder System

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
I have been poking around the Haida website and found the Haida M7 filter holder system and its bigger cousin the M10 filter holder system. I feel I am missing something here as I cannot at this point in time see the advantage if as I understand it the round filters have to be specific Haida drop in round filters.

Why not just go with "square" filter system or if you prefer a round filter system?

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Dont know about the round filter stuff, sounds a bit limiting if you are thinking about running grad. filters. I got a good deal on a Lee Seven5 kit late summer, so I went that way, but do have some round filters and may even add more, especially Pola filters, for when the system becomes a bit much.

You have seen this excellent primer on square systems? :)

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Dont know about the round filter stuff, sounds a bit limiting if you are thinking about running grad. filters. I got a good deal on a Lee Seven5 kit late summer, so I went that way, but do have some round filters and may even add more, especially Pola filters, for when the system becomes a bit much.

You have seen this excellent primer on square systems? :)
Thanks for your comments and yes I am aware of all that. My curiosity and hence post was about the design of the M7 and M10 systems.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Why not just go with "square" filter system or if you prefer a round filter system?
  1. Haida might miss an opportunity to sell you the same filter in multiple formats.
  2. Changing quick release drop ins is quicker and less disruptive to rectangular GND positioning.
  3. Potential for light leaks from insertion scratches on metal thin film NDs is reduced.
All three strike me as niche. But it probably wasn't a lot of R&D or tooling for Haida, gives differentiation, and maybe some ability to move pricing up in what's probably a fairly crowded slide in filter market. The M15 system seems based on similar ideas.

Latest threads

Top Bottom