Had a major scare

Just thought of sharing my experience of upgrading EM1.2 to latest firmware (3.1) yesterday. I set on to upgrade my camera finally and connected it to the system running windows 10 up to date with latest patches. The body already had v3.0 on it, the installation of which was fairly uneventful. So I assumed 3.1 would be the the same. But-

1. First try failed at 100% with a dialogue saying “failed to communicate with the camera” and some long ass alphanumeric error code.
2. Turned off the camera and ran installation again. Same error at 100%.
3. Removed battery, reinsert, restart, naah.
4. Remove lens, restart, nuuuupe.
5. Put in newly charged OEM battery and...yes, same error. But wait, something new happened - SD card error on card 1. The card was “locked”.
6. Removed both the cards and checked them in the card reader. Card 1 was indeed locked and windows asked me to format it. Thankfully pictures were all backed up. Formatted the cards. That’s a lesson right there for me.
7. Installation again. Failure again, camera freezes and shows blank screen, Olympus updater dies. PANIC ATTACK.
8. With shaking hands, I pick up the hung camera, remove the battery and put another one in and - that folks, was the most joyous moment I had in a while, camera restarted as if nothing happened. No signs of malfunction but with same old 3.0 f/w. I was almost certain that I had bricked the camera.
9. I uninstalled Olympus updater and did fresh installation but nada. Same cycle again. At least the camera didn’t freeze.
10. Taking a hit on my pride I went onto interweb. Some stray threads say it looks like problem with OS? Sure, whatever.
11. Fired up work laptop (windows 10 again) installed Oly updater on it and voila! Another joyful moment in such a short span. Update went through without any action. My god.

I have no idea what happened here considering it’s the same system on which I updated to 3.0.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Glad it worked out for you, but given the many reported issues when updating Olympus cameras I have to ask why you kept trying? Was it six times? Is 3.1 an amazing update?

Latest threads

Top Bottom