GX9

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
EVF, no weathersealing, generally lay-out, including loss of control wheels etcetera, etcetera. I would have been an very early adopter if they just had chucked the new sensor and stabilizer system into the GX8 body and called it MkII... The GX9 was, upon release, "a swift kick in the cojones", to use an Americanism.

If I hadn't bought the G9, I would probably still be in that camp.

The GX9 is for me not a "primary" model, at this day and age. It is a second house. Not to say that I dont like it, but I want something more. Do I need more? Most likely not, but downgrading isn't much fun.

Had I kept the GX7, I would most likely have upgraded to the GX9 and been a happy camper. As it turned out, I have between the GX7 and GX9 had the pleasure of owning a couple of rather grand cameras, both pushing the boundaries of what I thought I would ever own. I bought the GX8 about a fortnight before the release of the GX80, and if I had known about it, I would probably have waited for the 80 and bypassed the GX8 altogether, most likely also given a hard pass on the G9 due to size. I can sum it up somewhat with the statement "that there are never a dull day in my M43 multiverse". :biggrin: :drinks:
They have an identical number of controls dials. Mode, Exposure Compensation, and front/rear control wheels. They are simply laid out differently. I find the GX9 very intuitive and don't understand that Panasonic was thinking by putting the EC button where they did on the GX8. Preference. (see below)

Every time I read through these GX9 or GX8 threads, the other camera is invariably compared, and every single argument is based on preference. Neither one is any more functional nor dysfunctional than the other. I use the GX9 and have absolutely zero problems with the EVF, except it won't stop moving around. That's probably based on the way I hold the camera since others don't seem to complain about it. So, a preference. I really wouldn't expect to pick up a GX8 and have an EVF epiphany. Would the clouds part and the sun shine? I doubt it.

I am still disappointed in the G90/95. It appears to be a nice little camera that costs too much and has far too many video features. Preference. Still, I thank Panny for releasing it when they did because it drove me to the G9. They made my decision for me by releasing a new camera that fell below my expectations. Does that make it a bad camera? Not at all. There are people who have and love them. Preference.

Real Name
Mike
All this talk of grip led me to take a few snaps of my GX9 & GX80.
As you can see I added a grip and a few spots on certain buttons so I can find them by feel alone. All made from Sugru mouldable glue - it's easy to use and sets hard but with a pleasant feel, sort of soft-touch. It has proved to be very robust and has been in-place for a year or two. The one I did first was the GX80 and I painted the grey Sugru with black enamel, but I think that was a mistake. When I got the GX9 last year they had come out with coloured Sugru and I used dark grey which I much prefer.
I am happy to use these small cameras with my biggest lenses, the PL12-60 and the P100-300 as well as the smaller ones.. No problem gripping the camera, supporting with left hand and pressing the shutter with the right which is also gripping and steadying the camera.
Maybe some will consider that I have vandalised and defaced the beautiful cameras but I don't think so. Besides I would hope to be able to remove the Sugru if and when the time for sale arrives.
Hope you like them!

GX9+GX80-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GX9+GX80-2.jpg

GX9+GX80-4.jpg

GX9+GX80-3.jpg

Cheers from sun-baked Britain (29.4C) on this last day before the crazy freedom day!

Last edited:

GabCol

Mu-43 Rookie
I’m wrestling with this myself right now. Like most of us, I’ve churned through a few cameras and lenses in the last few years, and at one point bought a used GX7, mostly to use for updating Panny lenses. I discovered I loved it! But I always thought of it as a backup camera, never a primary, due to its age and aging feature set, so I went on to buy a G9 and GX8. Took the GX8 to England a couple of years ago and never really bonded with it due to ergonomics, so I sold it. The GX7 tends to be the camera I reach for first because of its size and relative simplicity. I’m disinclined to buy a GX80 or GX9 because I don’t perceive that they offer enough of an improvement over the GX7. I was all ready to sell the G9 becuse it isn’t getting much use, but then a nagging voice tells me I might regret it. I bought it in part for the video features, but I haven’t really used them. I’m unlikely to buy the higher-end lenses that would do it justice, so I feel like it’s wasting space in the dry cabinet. Anyone else out there gone through/going through this dilemma, and if so, what pearls of wisdom might you offer?

Last edited:

Shadetree

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Butch Oakey
I’m wrestling with this myself right now. Like most of us, I’ve churned through a few cameras and lenses in the last few years, and t one point bought a used GX7, mostly to use for updating Panny lenses. I discovered I loved it! But I always thought of it as a backup camera, never a primary, due to its age and aging feature set, so I went on to buy a G9 and GX8. Took the GX8 to England a couple of years ago and never really bonded with it due to ergonomics, so I sold it. The GX7 tends to be the camera I reach for first because of its size and relative simplicity. I’m disinclined to buy a GX80 or GX9 because I don’t perceive that they offer enough of an improvement over the GX7. I was all ready to sell the G9 becuse it isn’t getting much use, but then a nagging voice tells me I might regret it. I bought it in part for the video features, but I haven’t really used them. I’m unlikely to buy the higher-end lenses that would do it justice, so I feel like it’s wasting space in the dry cabinet. Anyone else out there gone through/going through this dilemma, and if so, what pearls of wisdom might you offer?
I have a GX7 also and really like it and also have a EM1.1 which is fine. Have thought about getting a EM1.2 but the rear screen has been keeping me from upgrading since it has one of those articulating screen and I like the flip screen much better so I will continue to use my old cameras.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Grip Deficiency is a common ailment and often treated with Vitamin Stick-On - not just for GX9, GX85, GM-x but on Leica M cameras and many many others.

I like the grip on the G9 .... until I pick up a low-end Nikon body (D5300), which just feels natural.

No EVF is really great, tho I like the G9's best. Maybe new Canons or Nikons are best, I dunno. It's an evolving technology.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The GX7 tends to be the camera I reach for first because of its size and relative simplicity. I’m disinclined to buy a GX80 or GX9 because I don’t perceive that they offer enough of an improvement over the GX7.
If it weren't for the jump in image quality, I'd have kept the GX7 over the GX9 - how I loved that camera! None others have felt as good in my hand, no other layout so right for me. The G85's grip is also great, but I don't love that camera. The GX8 didn't fit my hands well, and G9 looks too big for me.

Shadetree

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Butch Oakey
If it weren't for the jump in image quality, I'd have kept the GX7 over the GX9 - how I loved that camera! None others have felt as good in my hand, no other layout so right for me. The G85's grip is also great, but I don't love that camera. The GX8 didn't fit my hands well, and G9 looks too big for me.
Agree, the GX7 feels really good in my hand, the best of all that I have tried.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I came late to digital photography, and bought the GX80 when it was released. A glossy brochure and youtube videos convinced me that that was the camera for me, coming from film with my Pentax ME and MX. Since then I have not found another camera, despite borrowing and trialing others. The G9 and GX9 do not give me appreciable improvements, although the viewfinder on the G9 is amazing. The S models are huge and heavy, then add the lenses. Waiting…

Minimalist81

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sam Shone
All in all I find it very difficult to even allow GAS to take place when looking at other systems. This kit is just too good in the price/performance category!

I can certainly relate to your review, I've also owned the GX9 for around a year and have used it extensively. My use case is quite similar, no professional use, but used regularly to document life, shoot my family and to try and express myself creatively :) The main difference being that i don't really use video.

I came to photography quite late, learned the basics on a more traditional DSLR (Pentax K5II) and then moved to M43 in 2016 as I wanted something more compact without too many compromises. I picked up the GX80 with PL15mm and really loved it. Quite soon after bought the GX8 also because I felt like I was missing something with the better build, weather sealing and superior viewfinder. I also picked up the PL25mm which is wonderful. I used both the GX8 & GX80 side by side for some time and they both have thier strengths, but it helped me identify what features were most important to me and i narrowed it down to

• Size - Although the GX8 felt better in hand I found i was picking up the GX80 more often due to the slightly smaller size
  • Speed - I like to be able to pull my camera out and take a shot quickly - GX80 was a bit snappier
  • IBIS - Such an incredible feature in modern cameras and the GX80 was superior due to being the newer model.
  • Image quality - GX8 was superior, but I rarely found the GX80 lacking
  • Customisation - Both cameras were pretty good in this regard for me.

I realised that things such as EVF & weather sealing were less of an issue for me than thought they would be. I now almost exclusively compose using the rear screen and I actually feel that it is superior. I can get interesting angles without lying on the floor and shooting from the hip is great under certain circumstances. Experiencing both these models also made me realise that I prefer a tilting screen to a rotating screen.

All of these points meant that the GX9 was a really nice progression for me. Most of the features that were important to me were suddenly available from a single product. I was able to sell the GX80 & GX8 and pick up the GX9 for almost nothing and continue on with 2 lenses that I have grown to love. There are some minor additional features that became available that have also really complimented my style. Such as being able to set minimum shutter speed and max ISO for Aperture priority mode.

The GX9 has become such a great camera for me, using it is like 2nd nature and i've been so happy with the output. It would be nice to have better auto focus, which I know is an ongoing complaint across all Lumix cameras, but it is fine for my use in general. I have also learnt to be more competent with manual focus when speed is not as important.

GAS occasionally creeps in, but I'm really not sure where I would go from here without spending big money. I know that regardless of features, if i purchased a bigger camera I simply wouldn't take it with me as much. I often fatasise about the Leica Q2, but its a whole different ball park in terms of price, and I doubt my images would suddenly improve as a result!

Sorry I waffled a lot there. In summary, the GX9 is an awesome camera depending on your use case :) Check out my instagram for some examples of what I've captured. I should probably share more often, but everything on there taken in the past 12 months is GX9 & everything prior to that is either GX80 or GX8! Lumix all the way :)

https://www.instagram.com/sammshone/

Cheers!

Latest threads

Top Bottom