frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I went on holiday to Frankenland in Germany and brought all my lenses with me. It was my first holiday with an MFT camera + lenses. I expected not to use some of the lenses (and expected that I would sell those) but ended up using all of them. Well, except for the 9mm body cap lens (I used the 9-18mm for the wide angle shots).

Here's a selection of the pictures I took.

Zeil am Main (PL25mm):
P1040104.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bamberg (O9-18mm):
P1040291.jpg

P1040300.jpg

P1040344.jpg

Predicted the moonrise near the holiday home using the PhotoPills app and managed to take a picture of it. It was a magical experience to see the moon move every second. (P100-300mm)
P1040365.jpg

Königsberg (P12-35mm):
P1040423.jpg

Haßfurt (P12-35mm):
P1040436.jpg

Burg Rotenhan (P12-35mm):
P1040556.jpg

Hadn't expected to see some deer. I soon found out they were in a deer park, so this made the sighting a bit less "special". At least it gave me the freedom to photograph them without scaring them away. (P100-300mm)
P1040585.jpg

Burg Bramberg (P12-35mm):
P1040684.jpg

Black redstart at the holiday home (P100-300mm):
P1040741.jpg

Coburg (P14-140mm):
P1040801.jpg

Glass exhibit at Veste Coburg (O17mm):
P1040824.jpg

And finally a grasshopper just outside the holiday home (P42.5mm):
P1040871.jpg

Some conclusions about the lenses:
  • P14-140mm: it's better than I thought. Definitely sharp enough at f/5.6 (which I used most of the time, because there was plenty of light). I mostly used it in the 14-35mm range though. Could have used the P12-35mm instead.
  • P12-35mm: very nice and versatile. I always like the output, and the weather-sealing was a plus. If I could only bring one lens on a trip like this, I think I'd choose this one.
  • P35-100mm: didn't use it much. Both during city walks and nature walks I mostly used the wide to normal range.
  • O9-18mm: very useful range in cities. It allowed me to get buildings completely in the frame at 9mm. It does seem that I'm not really of the ultra wide angle type though. I often ended up zooming in to >=12mm, which means I could just as well have used the 12-35mm (with sharper images as a result). I did some test shots at 17mm f/5.6 using the 14-140mm, the 9-18mm and the 17mm prime. The 9-18mm was a lot softer at 17mm. The other two were both good.
  • O17mm: used it in a museum to benefit from the f/1.8 maximum aperture. Ended up stopping down several times though, in order to get enough depth of field. Not sure what to think of it.
  • PL25mm: shot some portraits with this (not pictured above). I like the images it produces, but used it less than I expected. I liked the versatility of the zooms.
  • P42.5mm: only used it once, as a pseudo-macro lens for the grasshopper shot. I could have used it for the portraits I took as well, but I was quite happy with the 25mm in that regard.
  • P100-300mm: used it more often than I expected. Being able to zoom to 300mm was very useful for shooting the 'wildlife' that I encountered. Even at 300mm I had to move very close in order to photograph birds (and have them fill a considerable part of the frame).

Last edited:

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I forgot to share these. Some lightning pictures taken with Panasonic's 4k photo mode (never thought I'd use that...).

P1040644.JPG

P1040650.JPG

Gerald

Mu-43 Regular
Nice photos, I really like the nostalgic feel in the colors. May I ask how you achieved those colors?

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks for sharing. I've traveled quite a bit but have never been to Germany outside of a brief visit to Berlin and the Frankfurt airport. I have always wanted to get into the countryside. This is very motivating! :)

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for the front page feature!

Nice photos, I really like the nostalgic feel in the colors. May I ask how you achieved those colors?
Sure! I applied the Kodak Kodachrome 200 film simulation in RawTherapee. I thought it fit the subjects nicely. :)

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Very interesting and certainly covered some different subjects.
Love the range of architecture.
You photographed them very well.
Interesting glass, I'd love to see more of that too.
Post away, I'm sure there's others that would welcome more of that trip.
Appreciate your observations on lenses.
Thanks for posting

Latest threads

Top Bottom