E-PL5 articulating screen problem

coastcoaster

New to Mu-43
Hi all - My first post here, after reading all of your helpful comments, so I am hoping someone might be able to help with a used E-PL5 I recently purchased.

I have discovered a problem with the articulating LCD screen that I cannot figure out. Whenever the camera is turned on, regardless of where the LCD screen is positioned--either in its ordinary position or tilted out--the screen will turn on and everything functions normally--touchscreen works, playback works, etc. When I push the screen back into its ordinary position, however, (or remove the screen from ordinary position and then replace it, if the screen started in ordinary position when the camera was turned on), the screen goes entirely black. Even when black, however, the touchscreen functions still works, i.e., I can operate the shutter by tapping on the screen. No matter what I do, however, I cannot get an image to return to the screen unless I turn the camera off and back on again, at which point the entire cycle would occur again.

The camera operates just fine if I choose not to move the LCD screen from its ordinary position, but sometimes (rarely to be honest) I like to tilt it out of that ordinary position. My suspicion is that there is some sort of loose wire, but since the black screen is not intermittent but occurs only when pushed back into position, I though there might be some menu setting I'm not aware of (?). (I've gone through every menu option that looks conceivably related to me, but I can't claim to know them all!) Or is anyone else aware of or have any suggestion of what might be causing this problem? Thanks very much!

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I had exactly the same problem with with my E-PL5, especially when the screen snapped back into its resting position. In the end it was the flexi cable which needed to be replaced.

coastcoaster

New to Mu-43
I had exactly the same problem with with my E-PL5, especially when the screen snapped back into its resting position. In the end it was the flexi cable which needed to be replaced.
Thanks for the tip. I had worried that was the case. Out of curiosity, did you do the repair yourself or send it back for service?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Over here in NZ camera repairers tend to be expensive, and a long way away.
I did the repair myself, using the back from an E-PL5 I bought which had a broken shutter. But I wanted other parts off the second body as well. The flexi ribbon cables are available on ebay, and it is not a difficult repair, as long as you have a good jewelers type screwdriver to take off the small cross head screws on the hinge. You do also have a couple of solder joints to tackle on the back of the display.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom