Dead E-M5 Mark III

animanic

Mu-43 Rookie
Well, the title says it all. My brand new E-M5 Mk III lasted 2 days. I took the battery out to charge it, once full put it back in but the camera won’t turn on anymore . I tried with 3 batteries all of them work fine with my E-M10. Is there any hard reset or something I can try before returning it? Maybe it is worth to mention I set the Fn lever to work as power switch.
I’m very disappointed so any help is welcome

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
The eternal concern of the early adopters. It's always disappointing when something like this happens.

I'd just return it. I had a G85 that had a flash that crapped out on day 2, took it back and swapped it for a new body, never had an issue on the 2nd one.

WaltP

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
Anticipating the "Death of Olympus" (we should have an opera with that title). Your camera is foretelling the near future. We should probably sell all this silly M43 gear before they all stop working in a few months.

Or are only the Olympus cameras going away? Will we still have Panasonic, Yi, BlackMagic, etc.?

You got a museum piece, be happy. ;)

animanic

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello, I tried it before opening the thread but no luck. The only sign of life it showed was when I connected the camera to usb charger when the led blinked for a moment but that was all.

And by the way have anyone heard about failing camera body because of a faulty lens? I bought it with 12-40mm Pro which was acting a bit weird IMO. When it was unable to obtain focus it sounded like the AF motor goes crazy. I mean when I pressed the shutter button halfway and released it before obtaining focus the lens kept “buzzing” until I pressed the shutter halfway again or switched to MF or restart the camera.

Last edited:

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Thats also going to be a camera body problem most likely. Waste no further time . Return the whole package (assuming you can?) for refund/placement.

Avondale87

Tasmania
Real Name
Richard
Is there another lens you can try?
I'd definitely try a hard reset. If you've reassigned the on/off button you could have found a software glitch.

barry

Super Moderator
And by the way have anyone heard about failing camera body because of a faulty lens? I bought it with 12-40mm Pro which was acting a bit weird IMO. When it was unable to obtain focus it sounded like the AF motor goes crazy. I mean when I pressed the shutter button halfway and released it before obtaining focus the lens kept “buzzing” until I pressed the shutter halfway again or switched to MF or restart the camera.
You sure that's not the In-body image stabilization in the camera?
It makes a bit of a hissing sound.

animanic

Mu-43 Rookie
Is there another lens you can try?
I'd definitely try a hard reset. If you've reassigned the on/off button you could have found a software glitch.
Yes I tried another lenses, also tried without lens. I tried the hard reset procedure and it didn’t work. I left the battery out during the night and it didn’t help too. But yeah software glitch was one of my first thoughts (and my hope).
I made a little experiment- I drained a bit one of the batteries, put it back and connected the camera to usb charger. The led lit and I guess it means it started charging. Then tried both the power lever and the Fn lever. Both stopped the charging so I guess it means the levers are fine.

You sure that's not the In-body image stabilization in the camera?
It makes a bit of a hissing sound.
No it’s not the ibis, I know the humming sound that it makes. The noise I’m talking about was just like an old hard disk - “scratching” and “rattling”. And it was not on the em5 mkiii only it happens on my old em10 too.

I’m heading to the camera store in an hour and will keep you updated. But I’m afraid they had only preordered cameras so I doubt they’ll give me replacement today.

animanic

Mu-43 Rookie
Just left the full kit at the retailer. They are expecting new delivery this week and will call me to go and get a replacement.
If they give me some information about the issue I’ll let you know.

Thank you all for your help!

werephotographers

New to Mu-43
3 days ago I was convinced that my E-M5II had died. The screen only came on very dim and occasionally. I tried different lenses, different batteries and no luck. I even had a little funeral for my beloved E-M5II with 47,000 clicks on it. Then I changed the memory card and magically the camera has come back to life!!! I am SO HAPPY!!!
IMG_20191117_133847.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

animanic

Mu-43 Rookie
Haha good for you :)

also returned the lens?

I left the entire kit even the free spare battery. But the body and the lens are actually separate boxes with own accessories, serial number stickers etc and as I understood they will replace the entire body box and will leave the rest.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Bad luck!

Does sound like a hardware failure. If it's software related, Olympus should be posting something soon on their firmware update page for the E-M5 III which is absent so far.

Latest threads

Top Bottom