B&W conversion

acnomad

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Andy
Every now and then, I see something that I think will be a great monochrome image. "Think" is the key word. Since I don't do much of this sort of thing, the results are always a bit disappointing, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Please comment on how post-processing should be improved, time of capture improvements, and whether it's even an image worthwhile of the effort to convert.

SOOC original:
20181213_084136_PC130014.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Quickly processed to taste for color:
20181213_084136_PC130014-3.jpg

Re-processed (again, quickly) into B&W:
20181213_084136_PC130014-2.jpg

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think it's all about personal taste . You may have upped the contrast more than I would have, but it adds some drama.
I took the image and edited to my taste just for a comparison. Not saying mine is better, just someone else's interpretation .
20181213_084136_PC130014-01.jpeg

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
You need to identify why you think a picture will make a good black and white image. And the best time to do that is when you take it - try and see the image as you want it to be when you are framing. Having a clear vision and learning how to see it through is the holy grail of good photography.

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
I have this issue too sometimes.

The issue with this particular image, imo, is that it turns out the grass doesn't offer that much of interest outside of the colour. That is, while there is variation in darks and lights in the grass, it doesn't create a visually interesting pattern for the most part -- there is just a big light patch and a big dark patch. This is particularly the case for the mid and upper left and upper right parts of the image, which is a problem. The mid and lower right hand side of the image is much stronger in B&W as there is a good patterning of lights and darks. The proposed crop helps a bit because it eliminates some of the areas with minimal visual interest.

Finally, I think your initial B&W edit makes the rocky outcrop far too dark. You should probably locally adjust that part of the image -- it's a tricky one because of the lighting.

cedge

Mu-43 Regular
I am definitely finding myself converting to B&W/monochrome more and more these days as I just find the images are better because of it in terms of texture and singling out a subject. It also helps that the program/plugin (Silver Efex Pro 2 through Lightroom) I currently use (albeit old) is brilliant at allowing you to see different types of conversions and then allowing you to tweak the one you like, etc.

If you use this kind of a plugin with multiple 'presets/filters', you might find one that better suits your image although there are instances where I don't like the conversion and stick with colour.

Real Name
Steve
Topaz B&W effects and Nik Silver Efex Pro2 are both good software tools for mono conversion. Both have loads of presets (that are adjustable) which may give you some idea of the look you want.

JNB

Mu-43 Veteran
+1 for Ionian's comment. What was it about the scene that made you stop and take a picture in the first place? Are you trying to make a record of the detail, or are you trying to convey something – a feeling or mood? B&W can sometimes enhance the latter goal because it is, by virtue of the lack of colour, an abstraction of reality. But it's not always an easy medium to work in. Learn to work on selected areas, and on selected tones. Don't be afraid to push the limits. You can always draw back from the brink, and how will you know what's possible if you don't experiment?

When I looked at your original, I saw two things – a mood and a "flow", created mostly by the light on the hillside. The foreground rocks were more interesting (to me) by the way they transversed the flow, than by their detail. So I worked on (pushed) mood and flow to create the following. There may be those who hate my interpretation, but that's OK. Each of us must find our own voice and work to achieve it.
Untitled-1.jpg

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
A very useful tip I came across a while back was, when converting a colour photo to B+W, is to overly saturate all the colours in the photo by a large amount when you are doing your basic raw development, then when you do your B+W conversion you can use all your colour channel sliders to lighten or darken each individual colour in the image to B+W with more control, finally don't forget to use local effects brushes lightly loaded to burn (darken) or dodge (lighten) parts of your image taking care to look where light and shadows fall, for a natural look.

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
Saw and ignore. Saw again and wondered...what is going on?

Seems to me all pics in RGB cameras are in color...period. One has to convert...
I am BW shooter primarily, so all get converted...how depends...there is in camera, and later manipulation. I have GIMP and PS 2000, and really still tied to PS...and choice of RGB or Not...sometimes I just go to all green and then BW...maybe should go to the Google program;
Still, see no problem save detail of how perceived... but this just me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom