Almost a rant.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
I'm beginning to think I've opened a humongous can of worms...
Nah mate! Talking is good especially at this time of night. Shows that there are others who have trouble giving up on the day's trials and tribulations and can't adjust to just parking their arse in bed............:2thumbs:...................OTOH, they may just be sad bastards with little else to do :biggrin:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's all about your tolerance for nonsense. For me it's eBay. I don't find it as bad as many suggest it is, but you will have to deal with some nitwits. The 10% fee is almost always worth it.

I no longer do craigslist. Just not worth the extra aggravation to me to deal with nitwits in person. I used to be a "people person", but people ruined it for me...

We've had a few garage sales over the years. Invariably people will insist we take more than we are asking for some items. I consider a garage sale a good alternative to the trash heap, so price doesn't matter.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
I have just sold my E-M5II to a rather nice chap. Only one of several that answered the ad. See my local ad below and some of the messages I received from other interested buyers:

"My E-M5II. Current Model. Comes with three batteries, 25 mm f/1.8 lens, 45 mm f/1.8 lens, HLD-8G Camera Grip, and everything that came in the box. The 45 mm box is missing but I have all the others. Bought from Leederville cameras 2017. Roughly 2500 actuations. Slight rub of the paint on the top but not really noticeable. I've upgraded so this lot is surplus to my needs. Awesome travel kit. Punches well above its weight. AU$600"

I wasn't trying really hard but I figured enough detail was included to get the message across. Or did I?

"$300?"
"$300? Does it come with lenses?"
"$300? :biggrin:"
"What's the shutter count?"
"How old is it?"
"You'll need to find the box to the 45 as I want to sell this to my friend."
"This is too cheap. It must be stolen. $300?"
"I don't want to do business in a coffee shop. Give me your address."

And several other monkeys that didn't bother to read the ad or tried to initiate some sort of scam.

What the hell is wrong with people? Agreed, I priced it low so it would sell quickly and somebody would get a bargain. I know I would like to get a bargain occasionally but I suspect the same tyre-kickers and time-wasters would have contacted me had the price been double.

See, this is why I don't have time for people. They disappoint me.
These are valid concerns and I think it's due to the quality requirements people are expecting from a used camera. That level of expectation had gone way UP! People want to buy a used camera in almost like new condition. Used is like "Open Box" to these people nowadays. So when it's too cheap it must be stolen. It's true as there had been a lot of theft in stores and warehouses people working as casuals and these people pawning them off on Craigslist or the flea market. The shutter count, how old is it and finding the box is consistent with the used is the new "Open Box" mentality. They want a used camera to be like in Exc condition; like no mold, dust, scratches etc.. Even when I was trading in my camera gear to the dealer; they looked at my cameras and lenses and rejected a number of my lenses which all look fine but have some imperfections. In fact, when I showed my reject lenses to my family members and friends; they said they look immaculate. Then when I sold them to KEH; those lenses were rated UGLY and BGN! What?!? So you see; it's the Open Box mentality that permeated the expectation of people these days. Used should be like new Open Box, not like used. So if you see Excellent +++ -- these items are practically Open Box and when you see UGLY and BGN; they are in a mint used condition but are good. And that's what I am seeing now buying from eBay. Gone are the days where if you use your bodies and lenses a lot and get top dollar. To get top dollar, your items have to be almost new. That's why you were getting all these questions -- meaning that @ $300 it can't be Open Box new and so they want to haggle with you as to how low can they go to get a bargain. It's sad and I think is reflective on the society these days.

Neil_jo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Neil Johnson
The worst one for me selling here on Kijiji is the last line in my add states
''If you are reading this add the item is still for sale''
And all I get asked is it still for sale.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Offer up or 5Smiles (long ago deleted) are the worst for lowball offers. Doesn't matter what you're selling, people will routinely offer less than half of what you listed at. As well as the "is it still for sale" nonsense. Even worse, I get people asking "do you deliver" for items that are under $20...and ALWAYS wanting to discount the price by whatever tolls/gas they have to use to pick up. They don't bother to look at the location, until you have a deal in hand and then decide they don't want to drive that far etc. That said, it's free and I've sold some stuff there with no issue.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
...when selling, I don't suffer fools gladly and will reply curtly or ignore their stupid questions rather that "succumb for a buck"
some years back a woman and her husband came to my house to buy a filing cabinet (steel, 3 drawer) I had on GumTree.

I'd advertised it for $50 and it was in great condition no dents or rust.

The woman came and said "Its grey" (the ad had photographs), "I was after white, will you take $5"

I told her no way and get out.

She then offered 10 and I said "Lady its not for sale to you, now piss off or I'll call the police"

They went to their car and the husband came back and offered me the $50 and asked me to carry it out ... I said no, but you can use my trolley.

The nerve of some people ...

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use Craigslist a lot and have found two things:

1. Most people don't read the ad. Every ad says "Please provide a phone number and whether you prefer a text or a phone call, otherwise I will not reply." Guess how many phone numbers I get :boohoo:

2. When I offer anything in the free listings because it's not worth trying to get money for it, I get replies within 5 minutes of posting. Most without phone numbers :026:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
well, I don't recall any problems with buyers for camera gear I've sold

parts for old Porsches, and selling other brands of cars have been a different story... one guy low balled me on a Mazda RX7 turbo I was selling - he did it while I was letting him test drive it too & he also went off on some political rant I didn't appreciate; I didn't order him out of the car but got rid of him quickly - weeks later he called me back with a higher offer & was very surprised when I told him I'd sold it a week ago

Real Name
Roddy
The french equivalent of Craigslist is 'Leboncoin', but unfortunately it is rife with scammers, typically of north African origin, and many of who seem to be related to those further south who seem to work in banks in Nigeria. Put a camera up for sale and within an hour you will have a dozen people asking you for bank account details.

So when I post now I always say in the ad, "Please include the TITLE of the ad you are replying to, IN YOUR REPLY". After four years of doing this - and simply deleting any responses that do not adhere to the rule, my life is so much easier. Most of France operates by text, so along the way I also block all the numbers that are scammers too. They do seem finally to be thinning out :D

Unfortunately it does not stop the vermin who turn up and offer you €5 for a €200 sale. But I have a large gate and I show them that instead. The dogs help, too.

Last edited:

WT21

Super Moderator
So when I post now I always say in the ad, "Please include the TITLE of the ad you are replying to, IN YOUR REPLY".
We get that on craigslist here in the states, too

The reply says "is your items still for sale" and nothing more specific.

Real Name
Roddy
We get that on craigslist here in the states, too

The reply says "is your items still for sale" and nothing more specific.
We lived in FL for four years and found that not to be so much a problem as it is here in France, BUT I did find plenty of people willing to quibble and haggle, sometimes with a great deal of rudeness. The big difference, especially in FL, is you never know who has a gun in the car when they turn up on your doorstep. I'm sure this is why my wife always made ME answer the door! :D

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom